Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IPC$ "Remote IPC" but I'm not on a network

• Please log in to reply

medusa9

medusa9

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I was looking around Windows 7 in the Computer Management section and clicked on System Tools/Shared Folders/Shares and found these listings:

ADMIN$ - Remote Admin
C$ - Default share
D$ - Default share
E$ - Default share
IPC$ - Remote IPC
print$ - Printer Drivers
Q$ - Default share
Users - (nothing listed under description)

- I do not remotely access my computers from anywhere... never have.
- I tried right-clicking IPC$ to select 'Stop Sharing' but the option wasn't there. Only Refresh and Help.
- I'm not on a network and do not share (have never shared) files between my 2 computers except through Dropbox and thumb drives.
- I connect both to the internet through an old Linksys Easy-Setup wireless router and have previously suspected a particularly capable neighbor of hacking into it but don't know how to verify that.

Have I been compromised?
If it shouldn't be there, would a new router, Kill Disk, reformat and clean re-install solve the problem?

btw: do you have a suggestion for more secure router brand/type?

Advertisements