Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 won't start repair doesn't fix

• Please log in to reply

wylli501

wylli501

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I have a toshiba laptop that was very slow and now won't start. The repair option doesn't fix it and I tried making a bootable disk from my gateway notebook but that didn't work either. I suspect the version isn't compatable or something at one point a message saying windows 7 / partition 0 mg or something like that and telling me to select but nothing happens. please help, I can't afford to take it for an expensive diagnostic and my daughter needs it for school. thanks for any help.

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
First and foremost, welcome to Geeks To Go's forums! I hope you stick around after we've assisted you in resolving this issue, as there is a lot of great members and information available on Geeks To Go's site. Now that the pleasantries have been said, let's take a look at your issue and see what we can do to resolve it!  
STEP ONE: Loading In Safe Mode
  • Can you load into Safe Mode with Networking? To test this, please follow these steps:
  • Shut the computer down completely
  • Now turn the computer on and repetitively press the F8 key
  • Once on a black screen with white text with boot options, stop pressing F8
  • Use your arrow keys to scroll up/down and highlight Safe Mode with Networking
  • Now hit the ENTER key to select the highlighted option

Pay close attention to the list of files as any Safe Mode loads. If it hangs/freezes or errors out at any point, knowing what was the last listed file may help us in solving your issue - So please pay close attention to it.
Before I can make any more recommendations, I need to know if you could get into Safe Mode or not. Please post back and I will advise from there.

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thank you for making me feel welcome. I do intend to stick around because I think this is a great forum. This is not the first problem I have had with a pc and I'm sure it won't be my last. LOL and just maybe i might be able to give back with something I have learned. As to getting on safe mode networking I believe I can. I saw it on one of my attempts but I didn't select it.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Please do not assume. Can you boot into Safe Mode with Networking now for me please, then notify me that you indeed can as you are sitting on your desktop.

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Unfortunately I'm at work and I won't be at my laptop until I get home in about an hour. thanks

Edited by wylli501, 30 September 2013 - 01:03 PM.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Not a problem, when you are home will you be able to still communicate with me for further steps on repairing this?

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
yes I will be able to use another pc. my daughter told me that in safe mode with networking it loads to: windows\system32\drivers\classPNP.sys and stops then after awhile it goes into "repiar" then blank screen with just the pointer and sits a long while.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Alright then, we'll have to do a few items through the Repair Console. I will post back soon with some steps, as it will likely be a lot of typing and would rather not do it from my laptop. So please bare with me for a bit of a delay.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Alright this was written by memory, so it may slightly be off and if it is - Please let me know so I can correct it and so forth.

STEP TWO - VERSION ONE: Getting Into Recovery Console With Windows Disk/Media
  • Please insert the Windows disk for your system at this time, after which you should turn your system off. Once the system is off, turn it back on and follow the on screen instructions for accessing your boot options. I've taken the liberty to list a few of the common make/brands default key(s) to do this below, note that some have more than one option as it changes based on your model:
  • Acer: Esc, F12, F9
  • Asus: Esc, F8 (rarely is it F8)
  • Compaq: Esc, F9
  • Dell: F12
  • eMachines: F12
  • HP: F9 or Esc and then F9 for boot menu
  • Lenovo: F12, F10, F8 (rarely is it F8)
  • Sony: Esc, F11
  • Toshiba: F12

To view the full list please clickHERE.
Once you're at the boot menu, select your CD/DVD ROM that has the Windows disk in it. Once the initial check of the disk is done with, you may see a prompt asking you to 'Press any key...' to boot to the disk - So be prepared to press a key (I use the space bar personally). Now that we've successfully loaded into the disk/media, it will show you a window with a few options. On this window please select 'Repair your computer'.

Now you should see a window called System Recovery Options, in which before we proceed I need you to capture some key information from the screen. Please look for the Operating System we need to repair in the left column and then look over towards the right of that for the column labelled Location. You must capture the information here, specifically the drive letter (example: (D:)). Once you've done this, please then click Next.

On this screen, you will see multiple options. Please follow the next steps to determine what to do from this point, as this step was specifically for guiding you to this screen, the System Recovery Options screen. STEP TWO - VERSION TWO: Getting Into Recovery Console Without Windows Disk/Media
Please turn the machine off completely at this time. Once it is turned off, turn it on and start pressing the F8 key. You must press the key prior to Windows loading, as if Windows starts loading it will not do what we need it to. If you did it in time, you will get to a screen with a black background and white text, with a title of Advanced Boot Options. You use your up/down arrow keys to change the highlighted line between the options given.

What I need you to do is guide the highlighted line up to the option and then have you hit your ENTER key.

Now you should see a window called System Recovery Options, in which before we proceed I need you to capture some key information from the screen. Please look for the Operating System we need to repair in the left column and then look over towards the right of that for the column labelled Location. You must capture the information here, specifically the drive letter (example: (D:)). Once you've done this, please then click Next.

On this screen, you will see multiple options. Please follow the next steps to determine what to do from this point, as this step was specifically for guiding you to this screen, the System Recovery Options screen.STEP THREE:
Please select the option for Command Prompt. Once you're at the command prompt I need you to type in the following code:
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows

Now within that code you will see I've put D as the drive letter the above steps discuss, if your drive letter is not D, please change it from D to what it is. This process will then start after you enter in that line of text and hit your ENTER key. The process does take some time, so please bare with it. If it errors out, go on to step four. If it does not error out and completes successfully, skip step four and see how the system is and post back.STEP FOUR:
This is only if the SFC command FAILED. If it did fail, try typing in the following code and letting it run instead.
ChkDsk D: /F /R

Again, I used D as the drive letter - If D is not the letter you previously took note of in above steps - Change it to the correct letter. This process does take a while, so please be patient.

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I got to advanced boot options but I'm not sure which option to select, using version 2 because the system came preloaded no disk

Edited by wylli501, 30 September 2013 - 06:06 PM.

Advertisements

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
the options offered are:

safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt

enable boot logging
enable low-resolution video
last known goo configuration
directory services restore mode
debugging mode
disable automatic restart
disable driver signiture enforcement

start normally

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I have managed to get to chkdsk it is going very slow. looks like it may take all night to finish. lol
after 10 minutes it has checked 25 of 142592 lol for stage 1 of 5
I'll let you know what happens.
Sop far files 28 through 35 are unreadable. 780 files checked so far.

Edited by wylli501, 30 September 2013 - 08:50 PM.

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
stage 3 of 5 in chkdsk so far.
44 bad files processed
57 unindexed files scanned
0 unindexed files recovered

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Well that's a bit of good and bad news to be honest. How big of a drive do you have? If it's not at least a 1 TB drive, it seems as though you may have a failing drive. However we'll await this to finish and then we can go back to the SFC and maybe a FIX MBR/BOOT attempt as well if we are still having issues. However for now, let it run and post back your results when it is done.

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
The chkdsk seems to have stopped at stage 4 of 5. 136332 of 142576 files processed.
with some bad clusters replaced.