Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 won't start repair doesn't fix

• Please log in to reply

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Well check disks that freeze are never a good thing. Specially after this kind of a time lapse. Can you check if your machine is under warranty? If it is not, you can look on the bottom of the laptop and see which bay the hard drive is in and then remove it, take a look at its serial number and see if it is under warranty. If neither items are, then we may need to discuss just buying a new drive, as I do not believe this drive will let you run the computer as you would like to.

A new drive runs between 60 USD and up though normally between 60 USD and say 150 USD for a standard drive you see in laptops. The issue then becomes do you have any Windows Installation Media or the installer disks from your laptop upon purchase? If not I can give you legitimate, clean download links for Windows 7 (just need to know your version specifically) and then you can use the key on the bottom of your laptop to activate it.

Please let me know if it is truly frozen and about the warranty in your next reply. Then we'll go from there!

Advertisements

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I'm afraid it is truly frozen and warranties have expired I believe as I have had it for a few years now and was reconditioned.

Edited by wylli501, 02 October 2013 - 03:42 AM.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Well in that case, it seems like we need to look into getting a new drive and about preparing the installation media. Do you have any of your repair disks? Also you will need to find a local computer shop, such as a Best Buy, or make a purchase online. What we need for a laptop is a 2.5" drive. For me to verify if it is SATA I'd like you to give me the EXACT model of your laptop.

So in your next reply, please post the exact model of your laptop. Please let me know also if you have any of those disks or if you do not, your exact version of windows - Which a sticker on bottom of your PC will tell you.

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
It's a windows 7 home premium AO
the pc itself is a refurbished toshiba satellite but I don't see what the exact model is anywhere on it
I think I'll take it to the computer store where I got it and let them tell me.
I don't have any disks for it. My neighbor tells me he has a windows 7 disk.

Edited by wylli501, 02 October 2013 - 09:46 AM.

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
It's running windows 7 home premium all I know is that it's a refurbished toshiba satellite 4gb with 500gb drive.
I will take it to the computer store that I got it from. Ma.ybe they can give me the information.

My neighbor has a windows 7 ultimate disk he wants to try to load in. I don't know if it is worth a try

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
I mean you can load the Windows 7 Ultimate, but you don't have a key to activate it. So it will lock you out basically. I'd recommend getting a clean ISO for the PC, then burning a new copy of Windows and activating with the code on the bottom. I can provide a clean, direct download link from Microsoft for your Windows 7 Home Premium.

Also, you should be able to see the information on stickers on the bottom. If not, you should be able to see more details in the BIOS. Here is a link to a list of all their models, so maybe you can see something here and get the idea of their name structure: LINK

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I have the product key. What ia a good site to get the windows 7 home premium and does it matter whether 32 bit or 64? Thanks for your help and patience by the way.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Based on your 4 GB of RAM I'd say grab a 32 bit version. To do this, you can use this link: Windows 7 - Home Premium - 32 bit

The download is from Digital River Download, which is Microsoft's official site for downloading items (just got Office 2010 Home and Business for a customer today off it). So you know the link and image is valid, up to date as the most recent version and legitimate. You will need your Windows Key on bottom to activate it though.

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I successfully downloaded windows 7 from the site you recommended and it seems to be working fine. Thank you thank you thank you.

I just need to load the programs back in and be back in business.
anything you can recommend to help protect and prevent future problems will be appreciated. Which security etc.

Thank you again for your help.

I look forward to staying in touch and learning from you

Respectfully
Wylli

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
I'll happily post more later but I'm on my phone going to a hospital that got hacked and have to finish up my report and job there. For the mean time grab a good anti virus. I recommend Avast! Free or paid editions. I'll post up more later in the day if I'm still able to.

Advertisements

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I,ll try that one. Thanks again.