Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sounds (system or otherwise)

• Please log in to reply

njmom

njmom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been trying to get my windows media to work and I continue to get the following message.

Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly. OxCOOD11BA Cannot play the file.

I can not play any systems sounds.

I have two sound cards installed and I ran a check of my system on Belarc Advisor and it shows under multimedia that I am using unsupported customized crystal fusion audio device.

I upgraded to Media Player 10, but that did not help, so I uninstalled and went back to 9. I have tried updating and installing new drivers and nothing has worked so far.

To tell you the truth this is as far as my knowledge of computers goes. I knew how to locate the drivers and I went to the microsoft update and help pages.

I received the computer as a gift from my brother who installed XP professional with the service packs. I do not have the disk if I need to reinstall anything.

I would really appreciate it if anyone has an "easy answer". My kids really want to burn some CDs, but I'm thinking of the computer.(just kidding) Our last computer almost became a backyard planter(I thought petunias would look nice) :tazz:

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
I would suggest only having one sound card installed, (are you sure there are two cards, it may just be two features of the one card).
Go to the card manufacturers website and download the latest drivers for your card, they usually come with an installation program that will put them in the right place.

Jolen98

Jolen98

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
do u have directx installd if u dont go to directx site and install it i also have the windows media player codecs too

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Don’t think proper drivers are installed go to control panel>system>hardware tab>device manager. Then look for any yellow explanation point if there are some then plz post what the are :tazz: o yah try and find the drivers also if you have explanation points, u would do this by clicking the yellow ! Then look for something that says update driver or find driver ;)

njmom

njmom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I pulled the sound cards and looked for the maker and other info.

The first one is OPTi crystal cs4231A KL 82C929A. I found drivers for this at soundcarddrivers.com. but none of them worked right. The downloads weren't zip files on some of them, and I couldn't open them.

The other sound card says LU CHIANG 2651 E72332 SU AWM 28A
I can't find any information on this one.

Yes I did download directx and codecs, but this has not helped.

Is there a problem when using XP Pro? I seem to see a lot of questions concerning sound issues and XP

If anyone knows where I can get a driver for either of these I would be very greatful.

Thank you for all your help.

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Try Here for drivers.
Use the log in name 'drivers' and password 'all'.