Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Had a strange BSOD. I woke up to turned my monitor on and it was BSOD. I don't know if it rebooted then BSOD or what. But neither whocrash or bluescreenview caught it which is only reason I maybe guessed that also nothing in event viewer from after I went to bed. Another thing I think that might be causing some of this issues is sata on motherboard or drive failing as well. Since when I power it down and booted up main drive wasn't showing I double checked bios all ok nothing turned off. I powered down check cables and reseated all HD cables. Now the main hard drive is revived. Is there a way to tell if a hard drive is getting past its years and better to replace soon than to watch it die while its in use?

Edited by cmislin, 18 November 2013 - 01:27 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can run HD diagnostics on it but other then that no way to tell. You can check to see if it is still under warranty with the manufacturer if you want.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

You can run HD diagnostics on it but other then that no way to tell. You can check to see if it is still under warranty with the manufacturer if you want.

Well I know its not under warranty anymore. It was past warranty before it had any symptoms. Well what I meant to ask is the info the hd collect the smart data I think it is called. From that is there a way to sorta guess should the drive be replaced? It has values for everything in it basically.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the hd diagnostics doesn't show any problem then the only other possibility is bad sectors which a chkdsk /r would find and mark as bad so they can't be used. If that is the case then yes you should start saving for a new hd.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

If the hd diagnostics doesn't show any problem then the only other possibility is bad sectors which a chkdsk /r would find and mark as bad so they can't be used. If that is the case then yes you should start saving for a new hd.

Well none of that has ever shown anything bad but some of the values on the smart hd info does possible have me concerned. Unless the info that defraggler is pulling is wrong.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-11-18_20-19-38_1.jpg
  • 2013-11-18_20-19-47_1.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Everything looks ok from what I am seeing. What has you thinking there might be a problem with the HD? Your free space is getting close to the 15% minimum so keep a eye on that. You possibly could have a controller problem on the motherboard which could cause issues if the HD is suddenly lost.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I guess some of the values seemed off unless I'm reading the charts wrong.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me ask did you notice if the possible controller issue happened about the same time as the BSOD's started?

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I can't really say whether it happened before or afterwards. Either case had another BSOD today this time was just after I closed chrome and it BSOD. Attached is bluescreen viewer log and whocrashed.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   4.19KB   193 downloads

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I want to try something and see if it happens then. Reboot and go into Safe Mode With networking. This will give you internet and see if the problem happens then. If not then we still have a drivers issue. If so then it is a OS issue.

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Ok I will do that when I reboot later. Give if awhile meaning like a week or so huh or more.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem and take your time.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

OK no problem and take your time.

ok currently now in safemode with networking.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Had another BSOD but I believe I accidentally caused it. My one friend suggested my issue might be one of these two things http://www.sevenforu...ox-browser.html

http://windows-guide...bsod-windows-7/

So I downloaded http://download.cnet...4-75722087.html

1st time running it BSOD after that it ran find and found no problems of rootkits. Beyond that hickup I haven't had any issues running safemod with networking. Also attached is the logs from bluesceen and whocrash.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   6.96KB   165 downloads

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the tdss I can't help with as thta is a malware program and outside of the malware forum no help can be given. Even if in malware forum it has to be a malware tech or a geekU senior that can help.

Both errors indicate a possible driver issue. Was the BSOD's in safe mode or did you go back to normal mode and got the BSOD's?