Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
If you could borrow a copy of xp pro then a repair install would most likely be a great option here.

http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Ok then all is pointing to the os can you attempt the removal of SP3 and see if you can boot into windows after?

If not then perform a system restore to the earliest date possible then go back through the malware removal process.

Well how is the best way to remove SP3? Then how is the best way to reinstall it? Will windows update still have it? I don't have access to any other xp version that is compatible with my PC. Also is removing AVG advised. I could try MSE again see if its better than last I tried it and such.

Edited by cmislin, 27 November 2013 - 12:56 AM.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
I have provided instructions for removing sp3.

Also removing avg is not going to hurt anything with the state that the machine is in.

Maybe you should attempt a system restore.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

I have provided instructions for removing sp3.

Also removing avg is not going to hurt anything with the state that the machine is in.

Maybe you should attempt a system restore.

Thats as easy as picking a date and going back ya? You suggested one of the farther back ones correct?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sometime before the 30th of September or before the issues started. I would say at least two weeks before all this started to happen if available.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
It is worth trying Last Known Good before rolling back to a restore point. Unless you have made drastic alteration to the Registry, the setting should still be saved.
Re, reinstall of the OS, having no suitable disc, please see post #191.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Well you do know thats about when I started using chrome again and the break before that I was only using firefox or IE. Till that original issue of BSOD was chrome usage again. So probably even farther back?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you go back to before you started using Chrome again then we can look at this all from there and make sure what is going on.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Is there a way to know that date? Or know what is installed before going back? Because I don't know when I started using chrome originally.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Like I said go back to the middle of August and start from there. We can then try Chrome and go with the errors you get from that point.

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Like I said go back to the middle of August and start from there. We can then try Chrome and go with the errors you get from that point.

Ok will do also was curious this only affects the main drive or all drives? Have another concern just went to run restore and safemode says its off and can't be turned on in safemode but only in normal mode. Would the Msconfig that I did earlier in thread changed the windows restore settings?

Edited by cmislin, 27 November 2013 - 05:36 PM.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
If between what we can figure out and not figure out and if a fresh format and install doesn't fix anything I think it might be time for me to get a new computer minus keyboard mouse and monitor.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What does restore say in normal mode? Does it give you the point back in August I suggested?

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

What does restore say in normal mode? Does it give you the point back in August I suggested?

I have yet to be able to get back in normal mode I can try again. Before it was either still stuck on chkdsk or I try to bypass and it never loads and hands at bypassing chkdsk. Let me know what ya would like me to try. But in safemode it tells me system restore is currently off and can't be turned back on till in normal mode. Is there a way to even know if I have saved points while in safemode even if I can access them till normal mode?

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Had a BSOD in safemode was just closing chrome to go watch tv in my room and it BSOD.