Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Please try the following.
1. Click Start, type msconfig in the search box.
2. On the top menu, click on Boot, and in the boot option, check whether the safe boot is checked.
3. If it is checked, then please uncheck. all other boxes should be unchecked.
4. On the top menu, click on general, select Normal Startup.
5. Click on apply, then OK.
6. System prompts you to restart, please restart the system.

Result please.

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
All the boxes are already unchecked

Edited by cmislin, 01 December 2013 - 11:13 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
OK, If you went right through to 6 and no good, will look further and get back to you.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

OK, If you went right through to 6 and no good, will look further and get back to you.

Well I didn't reboot since I didn't change anything and the last 10 or so times I tried to normally boot either A) hung up on chkdsk when I went to cancel or B) let chkdsk run and BSOD

If you want me to try to normally boot let me know.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Yes please, while in msconfig.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Ok as soon as I'm done here I will reboot more than likely its not going to boot since nothing was changed but I will give it a go if doesn't boot I will be back in safemode and post again

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Windows splash screen then to a blank screen and still hard drive activity but nothing else.(on spare laptop to make post)((its also done this a few time as well I leave it for a hour or so or whenever the hard drive activity stops and then hard power down))

currently waiting for hard drive activity to cease

Edited by cmislin, 02 December 2013 - 12:28 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
It is possible that chkdsk is running, so do not shut down even if the activity LED is inactive. It can run for hours without any indication then suddenly boot.

Edit. 11.40pm
Been over 5 hours running, no report back, (you may be unavailable, asleep) If system not responded, other techs may have more suggestion.
On an of chance, try Last Known Good, press enter.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get a new log with the BSOD in it for me please.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I can upload the logs again if ya want. My system is still stuck in limbo at the time of my post there is intermittent hard drive activity but haven't see any in awhile. I've tried last known configuration before. Currently waiting to see what its best for me to do with computer currently stuck in limbo. I can upload the logs as soon as we figure out what to do. Since I'm on the spare laptop to post. Also before I went to bed I also checked if keyboard was active it was not and still isn't.

Edited by cmislin, 02 December 2013 - 09:57 PM.

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I did finally turn my PC off since it was pst 24hrs of being on and more than a few hours since hard drive activity of any kind.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
From one of the things either you or another tech had me to do at the OS choose screen is recovery console. Its currently running I won't be able to watch it fully so do you just want me to post back when I'm back home and its done?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That will be fine. :thumbsup:

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
The only info it told me was exactly this "CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume" Is there a way to figure out what? Also let me know what you would like me to try now.

Edited by cmislin, 03 December 2013 - 03:16 PM.