Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Glad to see you up and about.
Having a windows 7 machine will save some steps.
You should find this release, puppy-4.2.1retro-k2.6.21.7-seamonkey.iso2009-May-22 03:32:32101.1M application/octet-stream
on this page, > http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/ 22 up from the bottom of the page.
> Download to the desktop.
Place s disc in the optical drive,
> Right click on the ISO file and select, burn to disc.

If you can select, boot from CD when restarting the computer, do, if not you will have to enter the BIOS and set the CD rom as first boot, save setting and exit.

When the installation begins, answer the Wizard questions, At the dialogue where a screen resolutions is pre selected, accept. Takes about 2 minutes to install.
Have fun.
Further reading, > http://www.winhelp.u...uppy-linux.html

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
It may be a good idea to test run the Puppy disc on the good computer before trying on the problem one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
UPDATED April 20, 2012

Use Puppy Linux Live CD to Recover Your Data:

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
  • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-528.iso)
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy here; http://www.pendrivel...e-from-windows/

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click Posted Image BurnCDCC
  • Click Browse Posted Image and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start Posted Image
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK
Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second
  • Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

Posted Image

3. Recover Your Data
  • Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives
  • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. Posted Image
  • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
3b. Transfer Files.
  • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

Posted Image

If you're doing this to recover from a virus or malware infection, (or even if you're not), DO NOT copy executable files (.exe, .scr. etc...) if any of these files are infected you could be copying the corruption over to any new device/computer. just copy documents, pictures, music, or videos.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

It may be a good idea to test run the Puppy disc on the good computer before trying on the problem one.

So does the cd need to be c-r or dvd and I take it you said I should run it once on this good machine to make sure it works correct?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
You can use which every disc has enough capacity for the burn. Yes, test on the good computer. The live CD will only use the system RAM when running and that will be lost/removed when you shut down the computer.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Puppy is currently up and running. I'm not entirely sure how to even try to get internet working. But I take it since I have another PC device to get word from you all that should work. Let me know what you would like me to do now?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday, that's good news.
I do not know this particular Distro version so you are going to have to experiment yourself. The aim is to have lots of applicationss running to see if the hardware survives and does not crash as it was doing under Windows.

You can also inspect the files on the HDD and backup any Data you want to USB.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
So what can run in this OS that is already installed on the HD since its pretty basic? I highly doubt without the internet available I could properly stress the system and it would be a different kind of stress compared to XP + Nvidia + Chrome issue. What would you like to me run in this OS?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By default I believe Puppy uses FireFox for internet browsing. If you go to the bottom left basically the start button. Then to internet or acc you should find the FireFox.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
This UBCD contains heaps of tools to do a final test of your hardware and can be run from a bootable CD or USB stick. You can see what is on the disc and some info. Do not download from this site as there is heaps of bloatware. > http://www.ultimateb....com/index.html >Go to this site to download, save to desktop then burn a bootable DVD. > http://www.majorgeek..._cd_(ubcd).html
Looking for instructions on how to access you C drive, (mount drive + mount USB) so you can save Data.

I think you said in an earlier post that you only had a Windows recovery disc? and you had lost/misplaced your licence key?

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I have my disc and license code but its the version that doesn't have the correct stuff to do a repair if that is the correct term. I don't know how to get network to work in responding to rshaffer61. I've went threw the network wizard or what not but its rather foreign and I've tried afew things just not sure how to make it work. Also I believe I had the right things setup but there is no way to enter a router password which is why I think its blocked.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I made a copy of UBCD what would you suggest I run? I use to have a xp looking one similar to puppy of UBCD to run. This one is the straight dos like graphical interface. Which means can only run 1 think at a time.

update since I don't know what to run I just ran the system test thingy its still running

Edited by cmislin, 23 December 2013 - 12:08 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Sorry for the lack of response, a bit busy at the moment, had no time to research on Puppy. If the system test you are running is successful, Puppy has run OK on graphics and RAM. when we have managed to retrieve your Data, we should look at a fresh install of the OS.

I have my disc and license code but its the version that doesn't have the correct stuff to do a repair

Having The key is what matters. What exactly is the disc version?

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I've always have had the key. Not sure if this is the version info your looking for or not but it says on the disc version 2002.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What version of Windows exactly?
Vista, Win7 or Win8 and what kind. 32 bit or 64 bit. HBasic, Home, Pro or Enterprise.