Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
It wouldn't install I got the right one. It started to install and spit this msg back "Setup could not start your default web browser"

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
A typical helpful message from Windows. Time for a clean install, Method 2, > http://www.wikihow.c...tall-Windows-XP
You have been at it for a long session and must be fairly P off by now. I will be about for the next 3 hours, I would more than understand if you wanted a break and start refreshed tomorrow.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I'll be starting this either tonight or tomorrow

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
fresh install is up and running however for some reason I can't get my motherboard driver cd to work there is no scratches I rebooted and I still get this msg "D:/ Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed.:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Up and running is good.
OD must have been good for the OS install. Checks.
Seen in BIOS and as first boot.
Seen in device manage, any flags?
Will the Puppy CD boot.
See if there is a tool on the UBCD to test the OD.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
No flag in device manager I will check Puppy. If that goes I will try the UBCD to see if it can check optical drive.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
More.
Try the MB disc in another computer.
Change the SATA port for the OD.
In device manager, uninstall the OD and restart the computer, let windows install the Driver.
Clean the disc.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
The OD is IDE and my motherboard has only one connector but I will try what you states of uninstall OD then reboot a and try the cd in another computer. Also in Device manager Devices that needs drivers are Ethernet controller, PCI Device, SM Bus Controller and Video Controller.

So far Confirmed the MB disc works in another computer and I double checked I could read the window OS disc in windows and I can. Just for some reason the MB disc won't play / work in the computer. (Just as I typed this up the splash screen for the MB came up)((FYI I probably have another cd-rom or burner I could install.))((( I can also double check the connections inside when I power it down)))

Edited by cmislin, 08 January 2014 - 05:24 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Device manager Devices that needs drivers are Ethernet controller, PCI Device, SM Bus Controller and Video Controller.

They are all on the MB installation CD.

Any result from checking the OD connections yet?
Have you tried cleaning the disc? Use some distilled water in a shallow container big enough to take the CD, add a few drops of washing up liquid, (not machine dishwasher type) leave the disc in for about 2 minutes, with a lint free rag, wipe gently from the middle to outside , not around, rinse under cold running water, shake off and air dry.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Correct they all on the MB disc. Like I said it boots up find on laptop it did finally work semi in my PC. Rebooting now and seeing what other hardware needs to be setup. After rebooting only driver not installed was graphics card driver. Is there a way to for windows to do windows update. The start menu way doesn't work so far might be because IE older version or such. I even changed the time so that the time it was set at would kick in and windows update the program should of ran

Edited by cmislin, 08 January 2014 - 11:04 PM.

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
This is the current msg trying to launch windows update from start menu says in IE "The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below might help you solve the problem.
For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions

Find Solutions

Windows Update Newsgroup
For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues) "

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
OK. Been all through those options except Microsoft Online Assisted Support (save that for you to do as a last resort) and you just go around in circles.
TheGraphics drivers and software are on the installation CD that came with the card, we can run with the Generic windows ones until other stuff sorted.
If IE will allow, go to windows Update, > click on custom install, follow the prompts, > http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Download to the desktop, > http://www.microsoft...-8-details.aspx Do not install yet.

This option for later, used Chrome with an IE extension to download an SP3 ISO to the desktop, ignore advice and warnings, just keep going until you can download,
> http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=25129

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Correct IE spits back that msg every time when going to windows update no choices at all because errors blocks them. OK was going to download the program. But the PC got BSOD. Would you like me to do safemode and whocrash or bluescreen viwer the BSOD for you?

Only things installed are drivermax (how I got video card driver), firefox and chrome. Thats all I've done since format and fresh install.

Event viewer shows this I will attach a txt when I get it copied. I'm also going to power down and double check connectors for OD.

Attached Files

Edited by cmislin, 09 January 2014 - 03:30 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Gday.
A fix for this error that may also fix the subsequent one, 'Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Program Files\Common Files\AVG Secure Search\SiteSafetyInstaller\17.2.0\SiteSafety.dll.'
Please download and run, > http://www.microsoft...lang=en&id=5582
Then test connecting to Auto Update, if it fails. Turn of AVG and try again. If still a fail.

With all browsers closed, try the update for IE that you downloaded, (IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU) Then see if you can access Auto Update and Windows update.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
avg isn't on btw didn't install it. I am downloading and running what you told me to try now. Same error for IE install. Also just to throw it out there windows update I check the messages of ways to fix it the actual error is 404. Could microsoft changes the url for it since windows update evolved over time and is updated itself? Also my install for xp is only SP 1 and 2. It doesn't have SP3. Also rebooted and tried install of IE still same msg and windows update still basically 404. I even set the time to see if the OS itself would launch windows update and no dice.(I uninstalled avg toolbar not even sure how it got added honestly)

Edited by cmislin, 09 January 2014 - 11:34 PM.