Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Ok rebooted find and update and program version windows popped up about genuine worked. Windows update is quicker now and no more critical updates to do. All others at this point are optional ones.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Would you consider the problems solved?
Before giving the system a good testing, I think it would be wise to create an image of the drive and recovery media. Save you going through this pain again.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Possible but I have two questions how do I do that and how do I insure that system restore is periodically making rollback points? Plus is it ok to finally set the fsb switches back to from default to proper settings instead of default and ok to put my not ancient ram back in?

Edited by cmislin, 13 January 2014 - 05:12 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
System Restore. You cannot control when automatic restore points are taken, when you add or remove programs, a restore point should be created by the system, you can go and check, or set them manually. you can, turn system restore on or off, alter the size of space taken, create manual Restore Points and roll back.
Go Start, > Programs, > accessories, > System Tools, > System Restore. Check it is turned on.

Plus is it ok to finally set the fsb switches back to from default to proper settings instead of default

No. Do everything else first then read the manual to know exactly what they do and the steps that can be taken using the software.

Please confirm that a firewall is enabled and Anti Virus software is installed, I use Avast! Free.
Use http://www.macrium.c...eflectfree.aspx free edition, to image your drive. Verify it will boot from the computer.

Now you can install your additional RAM. Please test to make sure it and the system is stable.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I'll be starting on that tomorrow.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Didn't get around to it yet most likely most of it will get done tomorrow

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted Image

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Since I was hasty in not writing down the fsb switches before going to default like ya asked how do I figure out what they should be set at? Or did you want me to do something else 1st?

Edited by cmislin, 20 January 2014 - 09:08 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Did you install the rest of your memory and do a Memtest?
Is the system stable?
Have you used the MSI live update 5 to make sure the MB is up to date?

If you do not have the printed user manual and software quide, downoad them to both machines. > software, http://www.msi.com/p...?div=QuickGuide
User guide, > http://www.msi.com/p...ml#/?div=Manual

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Well I didn't do anything really yet because I was confused when to put the switches back on my motherboard yet. I did use MSI live update the last time I had the computer on awhile back. I haven't installed the newer memory at all yet either. Like I said I was semi confused of the steps to take 1st or not. I do have my MB manual I just don't recall exactly what my CPU is to set the FSB.

Edited by cmislin, 21 January 2014 - 10:18 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
The switches on the MB are for overclocking. At the moment they are set at defaults which means that the CPU fsb is set as it should be. I cannot tell you exactly where to set the switches as overclocking is a trial and error game. Each CPU is different. If you get a good stable overclock and then add you extra RAM, you will have changed the hardware configuration and the system may then be unstable, so you would have to set back to defaults and start again.

So I advise you to install you extra RAM and test, if stable, then, read the software guide about overclocking.

Please note, I am not in favour of a continuous overclock, you can damage your hardware, so you do so at our own risk.
For the switches. use the lowest setting next to the default one. test and stress the computer, if OK, go to the next setting, test again. Work up until you reach the last one.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
well my friend originally setup my computer and they were not set at the default. Which was why I was trying to find the fsb bus for the chip which might be normally higher than the default. I don't believe my friend overclocked my computer by any means.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

I don't believe my friend overclocked my computer by any means.

Can you remember if you actually moved them to the default position. If the switches were in any position but default when you changed them, your CPU was overclocked. Please read under the heading, Easy OC Switch > http://www.msi.com/p...b/G41M-P33.html
Please download CPU-Z, (download button is at top right) > http://www.filehippo.../download_cpuz/
> install, > start > post a screenshot. See image.

How is the computer running???

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I know they are set to default since you had me set them to that but isn't the fbs switches also used to set what the normal fbs if its normally higher than the default? I haven't had my computer on in like a week.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

isn't the fbs switches also used to set what the normal fbs if its normally higher than the default?

Not as I see it.
You reset the BIOS to Defaults, you put the OC switches to Default. Your computer will now be running with the RAM and CPU set as specified by the manufacturers. If you installed 1333 RAM and your processor does not support that speed, it will Default to a lower speed, you would then need to OC the RAM to get the higher speed.
Run CPU-Z to see what settings are being used.