Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Ok I will run that program requested. Then can go about installing the newer ram and such. I will also install some type of antivirus. I'm not sure which one yet since most are rather invasive and don't play nice with programs.

Edited by cmislin, 23 January 2014 - 05:19 PM.

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Double checked settings on mb for fsb booted it up BSOD then rebooted drive not showing. Powered down checked connectors and then it booted up. No report could be pulled for BSOD. I ran that program ya asked for about chip and motherboard. I not 100% how to interpret it but there it is.

Attached Files

Edited by cmislin, 23 January 2014 - 07:55 PM.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
another BSOD nothing can be received from whocrash or bluescreenviewr but wrote this down. Kernal in page error and the error was on atapi.sys

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
after typing that last msg another BSOD this time no error msg or error code like a generic BSOD.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Make that 2x BSOD not file error or what not just a address code (the address code was there for the previous one as well)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Did you put the RAM in the empty slots, or move them around?
Did you change the switches on the MB?

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
The ram is the same earliest ram we left in there while testing and the fsb switches I double checked are on default. Also sometimes during bootup it wouldn't detect my hard drive in bios.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Not good news.
There may be an intermittent hardware fault that does not show up when testing. It may be time to take it into a repair shop, if you think it worth the cost, as we appear to have run out of things to try.

Edit.

Lets see if altering those MB switches stabilize the system.
Turn off the PSU before altering the switches.
Set the switches on the first configuration to the right of defaults and then test. Then the next configuration and test. Keep going to the last one.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
How long should I test it for?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Ten minutes should be enough, you just need to stress the system. Open a browser, look for any U tube long video, and play, run windows update, start playing a game.

Or, you could do a proper job by following this tutorial, Please excuse the title.
> http://www.pcworld.c...c-hardware.html

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Yeah funny thing never had any of that stuff show anything at all. Seems to be most of my faults happen just given time.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
next setting just browser open and windows update going another BSOD but only address code no file name associated. Checking for bluescreen viewer and such. Yep nothing in bluescreenviewer and whocrash.

Edited by cmislin, 25 January 2014 - 12:41 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
While stressing, monitor your temps/volts, see if they spike before a BSOD.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
with that cpu type program or install one?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Please excuse me for being late on parade folks :rolleyes:

Not sure if any of the following have already been tried but here are a couple of checks for you to do cmislin

Try disabling the auto reboot after system failure option, this may allow you to view any messages that could be flashing past that quick that you don`t see them.

Right Click on My Computer and select Properties
Click on the Advanced tab
Under the Startup and Recovery section, click on Settings
Under the System Failure section, remove the check mark in the box next to Automatically Restart
Click OK twice to complete the process

Use the computer as you have been doing and check for error messages if the system crashes.

Next run driver verifier to check out the atapi.sys driver that you mentioned in your reply #423 (wow).

1.Click Start
2.Click Run…
3.Type CMD and press Enter
4.In the new box, type verifier and press Enter

The Driver Verifier Manager utility will open up;
Select the Create standard list option.
In the next screen you can choose to auto select a driver or select from a list, please choose the select from a list option and then place a tick in the atapi.sys box, restart the computer and see if this causes the system to crash.

To disable driver verifier when done go to start, run and type in verifier /reset
Click on OK and you`re done.