Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet speed has slowed [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Question. How much cache should I have? Before I went through the steps, I had changed the default to 1024 Mb. Now it's back to 350, which is fills up too quickly.

Advertisements

Valinorum

Valinorum

GeekU Guardian Bot

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,330 posts
Hi Feverpitch, :)

Question. How much cache should I have? Before I went through the steps, I had changed the default to 1024 Mb. Now it's back to 350, which is fills up too quickly.

350 is enough. To be honest, cache which is a temporary storage for images and html files while you surf the web, hardly make any difference in todays high speed internet. It stores images and other files while surfing so that they won't be redownloading while you visit or reload the page. It was a good attempt to lessen the bandwidth load while on the dialup era. So, it is a good attempt to clear the cache. :)

• Step #1 Run ESET Online Scanner

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.

Vista / 7 users: You will need to to right-click on the either the Internet Explorer or Firefox icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.
    • Please go here then click on: Posted Image

Note: If using Mozilla Firefox you will need to download esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe when prompted then double click on it to install.
      All of the below instructions are compatible with either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox.

• Select the option YES, I accept the Terms of Use then click on:Posted Image
    • When prompted allow the Add-On/Active X to install.
    • Uncheck the box beside Remove Found Threats
    • Make sure that the option Scan archives is checked.
    • Now click on Advanced Settings and select the following:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Now click on:Posted Image
  • The virus signature database... will begin to download. Be patient this make take some time depending on the speed of your Internet Connection.
  • When completed the Online Scan will begin automatically. The scan may take several hours.
  • Wait for the scan to finish. Do not touch either the Mouse or keyboard during the scan. Otherwise it may stall.

When The Scan is Complete:

• If No Threats Were Found:

• Put a checkmark in "Uninstall application on close"
    • Close the program
    • Report to me that nothing was found
  • If Threats Were Found:
    • Click on "list of threats found"
    • Click on "export to text file" and save it to the desktop as ESET SCAN.txt
    • Click on Back
    • Put a checkmark in "Uninstall application on close" (Be sure you have saved the file first)
    • Click on Finish
    • Close the program
    • Copy and paste the report here

Note: Do not forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus application after running the above scan!

• Step #2 Scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 'here'.

• Double-click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a check mark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform Full Scan, then click Scan. The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
    Posted Image
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    Posted Image
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    Posted Image
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart. Restart if it tells you to.
  • The log is automatically saved by Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in the interface.
  • Copy and paste the entire report in your next reply.

Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts.
Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process.
If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

• Required Log(s):
  • ESET log;
  • MBAM log.

Regards,
Valinorum

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
My computer was slow yesterday and abysmally slow -- like molasses in January -- today. It even froze a few times. Definitely hoping these steps help you help me get to the root of the problem. Seems there's some Malware, and your first step picked up a Trojan.

ESET Online report:

C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files\OpinionSquare\opls.dll.vir a variant of Win32/Adware.RK.AM application
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files\OpinionSquare\opls64.dll.vir Win32/Adware.RK application
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files\OpinionSquare\opnsqr.exe.vir a variant of Win32/Adware.RK.AE application
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files\OpinionSquare\opnsqr64.exe.vir Win32/Adware.RK application
C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files\OpinionSquare\opservice.exe.vir a variant of Win32/Adware.RK application
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\8\60e2ac08-2445b2ae Java/Exploit.CVE-2012-1723.AZ trojan
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\UpdaterEX\UpdateProc\UpdateTask.exe a variant of Win32/DealPly.F application
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\Adobe_Reader_setup.exe Win32/InstallCore.DF application
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\disk-defrag-setup.exe a variant of Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Ask application
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\SoftonicDownloader_for_textpad.exe Win32/SoftonicDownloader.E application

Malwarebytes log:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2013.10.09.11

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13
Owner :: D71FQ391 [administrator]

10/9/2013 9:43:56 PM
mbam-log-2013-10-09 (21-43-56).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 278098
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 12 minute(s), 51 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 8
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\Adobe_Reader_setup.exe (PUP.Optional.InstallCore) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\SoftonicDownloader_for_textpad.exe (PUP.Optional.Softonic.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{129201FA-B0AC-49B3-96B2-DEB8B91E727B}\RP561\A0108269.exe (PUP.Optional.FunWebProducts.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{129201FA-B0AC-49B3-96B2-DEB8B91E727B}\RP574\A0114602.exe (PUP.Optional.InstallCore) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{129201FA-B0AC-49B3-96B2-DEB8B91E727B}\RP575\A0114936.exe (PUP.Optional.BrowserSafeGuard.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{129201FA-B0AC-49B3-96B2-DEB8B91E727B}\RP575\A0115123.exe (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{129201FA-B0AC-49B3-96B2-DEB8B91E727B}\RP575\A0115212.exe (PUP.Optional.PerformerSoft.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{129201FA-B0AC-49B3-96B2-DEB8B91E727B}\RP576\A0115285.exe (PUP.Optional.FileScout.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

Valinorum

Valinorum

GeekU Guardian Bot

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,330 posts

Did you install any new software? Many files which are detected by ESET are already quarantined by AdwCleaner, so no worry about them. :)

• Step #1 Clear Java Cache
    Please follow the instruction from here to clear your Java cache.

Note:Java is currently one of the most targeted program by the Malware writers. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java. Please acknowledge yourself the following articles.
  • Article #1
  • Article #2

I would suggest that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it for important software to run. In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. Please read the following --

• Step #2 Fix with OTL
  • Re-run OTL by right clicking and choosing Run as administrator;
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes Box copy and paste the following contents inside the quote box. (Do not include the word 'quote').

:Commands
    [createrestorepoint]

:Files
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\8\60e2ac08-2445b2ae
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\UpdaterEX\UpdateProc\UpdateTask.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\Adobe_Reader_setup.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\disk-defrag-setup.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\SoftonicDownloader_for_textpad.exe

:commands
    [emptyjava]
    [reboot]

• Click on "Run Fix" and let the program run unhindered;
  • Your PC will reboot automatically and a log will be opened;
  • Please post it in your next reply.
  • Re-run OTL and click on Quick Scan and post the log after the scan.

• Required Log(s):
  • OTL fix log;
  • OTL.txt

Regards,
Valinorum

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
OTL log:

========== COMMANDS ==========
System Restore Service not available.
========== FILES ==========
File\Folder C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\8\60e2ac08-2445b2ae not found.
File\Folder C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\UpdaterEX\UpdateProc\UpdateTask.exe not found.
File\Folder C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\Adobe_Reader_setup.exe not found.
File\Folder C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\disk-defrag-setup.exe not found.
File\Folder C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\SoftonicDownloader_for_textpad.exe not found.

[EMPTYJAVA]

User: Administrator

User: All Users

User: Default User

User: LocalService

User: NetworkService

User: Owner

Total Java Files Cleaned = 0.00 mb

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 log created on 10102013_182238

System Restore Service not available.
========== FILES ==========
File\Folder C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\8\60e2ac08-2445b2ae not found.
File\Folder C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\UpdaterEX\UpdateProc\UpdateTask.exe not found.
File\Folder C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\Adobe_Reader_setup.exe not found.
File\Folder C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\disk-defrag-setup.exe not found.
File\Folder C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Downloads\SoftonicDownloader_for_textpad.exe not found.

[EMPTYJAVA]

User: Administrator

User: All Users

User: Default User

User: LocalService

User: NetworkService

User: Owner

Total Java Files Cleaned = 0.00 mb

OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.69.0 log created on 10102013_182314

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Recent install was Auslogics Boostspeed. Don't recall any other recent installations.

Computer is faster today. Almost seems like normal Quantum speed. Guess I will run Malwarebytes more often.

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I would disable Java, but I play a lot of games on Pogo.com. Scrabble fanatic.

Valinorum

Valinorum

GeekU Guardian Bot

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,330 posts
Are you having any issues now? :)

Feverpitch

Feverpitch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Speed of computer and web appear faster now, although it's not Quantum speed like I'm signed up for with Verizon. Last night, I had some issues with slowing when using Pogo.com to play online games (my reason for having Java). What do you think about Pogo?

I will use Malwarebytes more often, and run CCleaner at least every couple of weeks. To prevent this issue in the future, what do you recommend for routine maintenance other than that? The cache at 350 fills up pretty quickly, so I guess I should clear the cache every day.

Valinorum

Valinorum

GeekU Guardian Bot

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,330 posts

although it's not Quantum speed like I'm signed up for with Verizon.

Can you please contact your ISP about this issue as I am unable to find any trace that can be the cause of your slowness? :)

I had some issues with slowing when using Pogo.com to play online games (my reason for having Java). What do you think about Pogo?

Online games are supposedly take up speeds from time to time. My opinion about Pogo is somewhat neutral as I do not play games from them. :)

I will use Malwarebytes more often, and run CCleaner at least every couple of weeks.

Good choice.Please, refrain from using the Registry cleaning feature of CCleaner as they seldom do any good.

To prevent this issue in the future, what do you recommend for routine maintenance other than that?

• Keep Windows up-to-date.
    It is extremely important that you keep your operating system (Windows) updated when updates are made available. It is set to alert you, so be sure not to ignore these notices and to allow the updates to install. Many of these are critical security packages which could very possibly be the difference between your picking up a future infiltration and simply passing right by it unharmed.
  • Run antivirus software and keep it up-to-date, too.
    Antivirus software is your safety net if all other protections fail. The first line of defense is smart computing, of course, but everyone needs a backup. I'd recommend Microsoft Security Essentials or avast!, both of which are excellent, as well as free. Once they're installed, check periodically to ensure they have been successfully updating as well. An out-of-date antivirus is not a happy antivirus!
  • Keep your web browser plugins and other programs updated also.
    This tip is rarely shared by technicians and its importance is not widely recognized, but it's absolutely critical. Programs such as Java, Adobe Flash Player and Adobe Reader, Internet Explorer, and myriad other such web-exposed items are deeply vulnerable to attack, which can quickly lead to a hopelessly infected system no matter what protection you currently have installed. The reason is that these programs are ubiquitous, but are also not perfect and are extremely complex... and as such, security vulnerabilities are discovered and exploited by hackers hoping to gain control over your machine. By performing every update for these programs as soon as it's made available, you will greatly reduce your exposure to dangerous internet threats.

A great way to do this is to install the Filehippo Update Checker and run it regularly. Also, try not to ignore any notifications you receive regarding updates to programs already installed on your PC.
  • Consider a web browser other than Internet Explorer.
    Internet Explorer is popular, and with popularity comes exploitation and vulnerability. Fortunately, you have a choice in what web browser to use. Although its popularity has swelled considerably over the past couple of years.

Adblock Plus is a good Add-on for Firefox that helps prevent those annoying pop ups.

No scripts is an excellent security device too. I like it but it is not for everyone because it requires you to take action if you want to see some things (pop ups, banners etc.) on sites you visit.

Download NoSript by Giorgio Maone.

Note: Sometimes you will get a site telling you that you need to install Java when actually all you need to do is enable the site through the no script icon down on the right hand side of your computer.
  • Keep your firewall enabled.
    In Windows Vista and Windows 7, the built-in firewall is perfectly sufficient. In Windows XP, we recommend a third-party alternative. I personally like Comodo Firewall for this purpose on XP machines. Be sure you keep it updated if it requires it! A firewall helps monitor connections both inward and outbound.
    Here's some useful firewalls:
    Here are two good firewalls free for personal use:
  • OnLine-Armour
  • Agnitum - Outpost free

<li>And last of all, surf smart.
It doesn't matter how well the autopilot system works if the pilot keeps flying the plane into mountain ranges. Don't forget that no matter how much you have protecting yourself, your security ultimately begins and ends with you. Don't visit dangerous or questionable web sites, avoid suspicious links on Facebook and emails/email attachments you're unsure about, and just generally keep your wits about you, and you'll be much safer. Also, avoid illegal downloads, cracks, "warez", and all other too-good-to-be-true internet offerings: they're typically laden with malware. Be smart and you can avoid most threats lurking about the darker corners of the internet! And for even more tips, see our article, How Did I Get Infected in the First Place?

Regards,
Valinorum

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.