Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Intel Core i7-3630QM processor or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor?

• Please log in to reply

mbesser

mbesser

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay so I am in the market for a new computer and wanted to ask for information comparing two different processors:

Specifically I am interested in knowing how the following procesors compare:

Intel Core i7-3630QM processor 2.4 GHZ and a Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.53GHZ

I realize the clock speed is higher on one but don't know if there are other factors I don't know about. I should also mention that the ntel Core i7-3630QM processor computer has 16GB of RAM while the other has only 4GB which I know is significant.

Looking for any and all feedback.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
:welcome: mbesser

The two processors are a world apart both performance and cost wise.

If you tell us what the main use of the computer will be we will better placed to advise you as to which CPU would be better for you - if you have links to the two computers that you refer to in your OP please post them in your next reply so that we can take a look at them.

mbesser

mbesser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So the Intel Core 2 duo computer is actually my current laptop I've had for 4 years. I'm pretty sure it's on the way out and I've been wanting to upgrade to a newer laptop. I found it curious that this model I found which is supposedly rather higher end has a processor with a slower clock speed although I'm sure I'm missing something as my computer is 4 yrs old. To answer your other question I use my computer for mostly office work and video streaming but also occasional gaming.

howtheflip

howtheflip

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
So this might take a while to explain, but I'll do my best:

So, processors have come a long a way from the Intel Core 2 Duo. To begin, the Intel Core 2 Duo is a single core processor that has processor speeds ranging from 1.8-3.1. I don't know where yours lays. It is hyperthreaded, which essentially means it acts as if it has 2 cores in tasks that it needs, which essentially speeds it up when multi tasking.

The i7-3630QM is a third generation i7 processor, which was one of the newest generation processors before the 4th generation i7 processors recently just came out. This processor has 2.4ghz speed, and because of your other post, i'm assuming your intel core 2 duo is higher than that. The major difference between the two however is that the i7 processor is much much faster hertz to hertz. When i say this, i mean that although your intel core 2 duo might be 3.0ghz, another processor that is stronger might be 1.5ghz and still be faster because each hertz can work twice as effectively. Which is exactly what the i7 does.

Another key trait is that the i7 processor has 4 cores, and is hyperthreaded so that it can act as 8 cores if needed. This allows much more multi tasking over a single core, and with 4 cores that are each must faster than the intel core 2 duo, the difference is phenomenal.

Now, before you read this and think the card is amazing, I have a few disclaimers i'd like to throw out. This is a high end processor and should only be bought if you actually need to use all of it's specs. There are much better cards to suit people's needs that are still quite good. To begin, the i7 third generation is a major power drainer, so your laptop might not last as long as you want, which is frustrating to some people, especially if you're not always near a power source. Also, 4 cores is sometimes way more than some people need and it might go unused, which is extra power that's just draining your battery for no reason. Lastly, I looked and the cheapest laptop i saw with this processor is about 650 bucks. With that in mind, there might be something cheaper that fits your budget and needs more.

You mentioned playing games? It depends on what kind of games you play/want to play. Looking at your old processor, I'd assume you weren't playing any heavily intensive games, but maybe you want to now? Well, the thing with computers is that the graphics card affects this the most, and the thing about most of the i7 laptops such as this one is that there isn't a graphics card in them and would cost much more to have one. That doesn't mean that you can't play the games you have been, because the i7 has integrated graphics, which allows it to still run some low-mid tier games. I know for a fact these integrated graphics can handle league of legends and even world of warcraft on lower settings.

Depending on your interests, there are many different things that can be adjusted to meet your needs, and for cheaper.
- If you want to save power and have long battery life, amd is always a solid brand, especially since they have built in graphics that are superior to the i7's integrated, which means you might be able to do a bit more. (I have an amd a10-4600m that i got for $500 and can play league of legends, fallout, skyrim, etc.)
If you still want a decent amount of power and don't play heavy games, you can get an i5 processor that'll only have 2 cores, saving some battery and still getting everything you want done.
If you want power and graphics, you could find a laptop with an i3 or i5 processor and a graphics card. This power consumption would probably be close to the i7 because the graphics card is power demanding, so keep that in mind.

Overall, it all depends on your budget and your needs. If you have any questions or need help picking out a laptop that better suits you, you can just ask and I'll be happy to narrow the choices down for you.

mbesser

mbesser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
This was an unbelievably informative reply. Thank you so much! I've attached the link to the computer I'm interested in purchasing. Let me know what you think. If also be very open to alternative suggestions. I want a laptop that will last me for at least 4 years. Also, Diablo 3 is pretty much the only game I'm interested in playing. I will mostly be using the computer for normal word processing and a lot of video streaming/playing. Essentially my laptop is my tv.

http://www.groupon.c...nvy-173-laptops

mbesser

mbesser

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Also I'm not super concerned with cost but obviously don't want to spend more money for extras I don't need/ want

howtheflip

howtheflip

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
http://www.bit-tech....investigation/5

That right there shows that the intel family integrated graphics wouldn't be strong enough to run that game on a laptop like that due to no graphics power. I'm assuming that screen was 1920x1080 resolution, so it would only be getting 11fps, and anything under 30fps starts to jitter, 11fps would be unbearable.

The AMD a10-4600m I have would run it a bit better, but not as well as you probably want. You can run medium settings with 44 fps, high with 28, and ultra with 20:
http://www.notebookc...PU.74852.0.html

With a lot more power, there's this laptop:
http://shopping.hp.c...619&010=C9G47AV
It has a 740m graphics card, which runs Diablo 3 at maxiumum settings with a minimum of 46 fps, which is amazing:
http://www.notebookc...0M.89900.0.html
My only complaint about this laptop is screen size, being 15.6", cuz i see the other one you posted had the nice 17.3" screen. i'll keep looking. Also, the screen resolution is not usually 1920x1080, but when you customize you can change that for only 50 bucks more, bringing it to 700 bucks.

This card has the same amount of power:
http://www.notebookc...ed.74918.0.html
It also has the large screen and nice resolution, along with a strong processor, the only downfall is that I found it on ebay, so those types of things are up to your judgement:
http://www.ebay.com/...=item4ac9abe15f
This does come with a 1 year warranty however, which is nice. It is one of the cheapest at 675.
You can also get it through their website for 800

I'm having some trouble finding more laptops around that price that'll run that game that well, so if neither of those interest you at all, just let me know and i'll continue to help. Personally, i'd go for the third one one ebay since it's cheaper, has a warranty, and has all the fancy features I like. If you're not that into screen resolution and size, and want to be safe, the first one's a good bet. Just let me know if I can be of anymore help.

Edited by howtheflip, 02 October 2013 - 12:57 PM.

Techsavy2013

Techsavy2013

• Pip
  • 6 posts
The intel core 2 duo is actually a dual core processor not a single core processor, in that line there was a intel core 2 single I believe and then intel core 2 duo, duo meaning dual core but at the end of the day the i7 is a newer and much faster processor w 4 cores.