Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my dell xps 15 laptop crashes every 2 hours, to the minute.

• Please log in to reply

kaziska

kaziska

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have this really strange recurring problem with my dell xps laptop, and it started with me sending it into repairs to replace the chipset, so I wonder if it has anything to do with that. My computer functions fine, it does not overclock or overheat at all according to the diagnostic tools I have checked, and is otherwise an extremely functional machine, aside from the fact that it crashes (no BSOD, no automatic restart, just sudden shut down with no warning, losing me all unsaved work) EXACTLY (this is the interesting part) every 2 hours. And when I say exactly 2 hours, I mean pretty much to the minute. Any process explorers I used inform me that there were no noticeable spikes around the time of the shut down (or should I say crash) and I have rigorously tested the battery pack and power cable to ensure this is not a power issue (which would make little sense anyway, with the crashes happening at precise 2 hour intervals). it could be running one chrome window, a video and a chrome window, or zero significant system processes at the two hour mark, the crash comes all the same. did a little research and apparently this is a common complaint for windows 7 RC systems in 2010 that have not been properly activated, hence windows activating the bi-hourly shutoff. Funny thing is I have windows 7 home premium, an activated and completely legal version, which has been functioning well for 3 years until this time. it really is getting sort of maddening, and my laptop repair place just basically told me they have no idea what's going on, so I'm desperate, and as far as the internet tells me, this is an obscure windows activation problem that hasn't been a serious issue for people since 2011. any ideas?

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
First and foremost, welcome to Geeks To Go's forums! I hope you stick around after we've assisted you in resolving this issue, as there is a lot of great members and information available on Geeks To Go's site. Now that the pleasantries have been said, let's take a look at your issue and see what we can do to resolve it!  
STEP ONE: Optional Reactivation Option
You can always activate your Windows again using the Command Prompt windows utility. You must open your Command Prompt as an administrator, HERE is a guide to do just that. Once you have it opened you will want to run the following commands, one by one.
slmgr -ipk YourKeyHere
*Do not type this line, however only type the below if the above rendered a positive result*
slmgr -ato
Keep in mind you also have a key on the bottom of your laptop that may or may not match your original one. To capture the original, active one you could also run something like Belarc Advisor to get a list of all your keys. This way if anything goes wrong, you have your keys that it's using. Please let me know if you choose not to do that or if you do and it works. As for another step to gather more information, please give this a go...
STEP TWO:
  • At this point and time I'd like you to get the utility MiniToolBox and run it with the following checked items.
    • List content of Hosts
    • List last 10 Event Viewer Errors
    • List Installed Programs
    • List Devices
    • Only-Problems (leave it checked)
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory Size
  • List Minidump Files

After you've selected just the above items, please then hit GO. Once it's done running, which normally doesn't take too long, it will have a text or log file pop up. Please copy & paste that into a reply.
That will be it for now, let me know if you have any more details or what any results are like. Also have you checked it out for possible malicious items?

kaziska

kaziska

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've sent it to a repair place to check out a software and hardware issues, they seem to think replacing the chipset with a compatible piece of hardware is a good idea. I am being called back soon about the progress with the laptop, thanks for the advice! I shall pass your advice on to my techie friends at the shop.

kaziska

kaziska

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I am pretty confident if the chipset doesn't work, the reactivation sounds like a really good way to go.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Yes. The chipset or another piece of hardware could certainly be it though. Most shut downs without any notifications, no logging is due to faulty hardware. So we'll see how that goes and go from there! Either way, good luck on getting this resolved and I hope it is a quick procedure!

kaziska

kaziska

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
sorry it took me some time, got my new-new chipsetted laptop back from the shop, didn't fix it, installed ubuntu briefly, didn't fix it, performed a clean windows 7 hp install, didn't fix it, so I am nearing the end of my rope (not with anyone here of course, just my darn machine). reactivation didn't work either, but for all it's worth, here's minitoolbox logs of the last couple of hours; the computer shut down unexpectedly AGAIN on the two hour mark at a little bit before 9.25pm, and true enough there is some interesting jiggery pokery going on there. any idea what it could mean?

MiniToolBox by Farbar Version: 13-07-2013
Ran by Kazimir Lee Iskander (administrator) on 07-10-2013 at 21:54:04
Running from "C:\Users\Kazimir Lee Iskander\Desktop"
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal
========================= Hosts content: =================================

========================= Event log errors: ===============================

Application errors:
==================
Error: (10/07/2013 09:52:26 PM) (Source: WinMgmt) (User: )
Description: //./root/CIMV2SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 990x80041003

Error: (10/07/2013 09:25:22 PM) (Source: WinMgmt) (User: )
Description: //./root/CIMV2SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 990x80041003

Error: (10/07/2013 09:21:15 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )
Description: Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download....uthrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (10/07/2013 08:42:42 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )
Description: Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download....uthrootstl.cab> with error: A required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (10/07/2013 08:42:34 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

Error: (10/07/2013 08:42:34 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2) (User: )

System errors:
=============
Error: (10/07/2013 09:50:38 PM) (Source: HECIx64) (User: )
Description: Intel® Management Engine Interface driver has failed to perform handshake with the Firmware.

Error: (10/07/2013 09:47:43 PM) (Source: ACPI) (User: )
Description: : The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.

Error: (10/07/2013 09:47:38 PM) (Source: ACPI) (User: )
Description: : The embedded controller (EC) did not respond within the specified timeout period. This may indicate that there is an error in the EC hardware or firmware or that the BIOS is accessing the EC incorrectly. You should check with your computer manufacturer for an upgraded BIOS. In some situations, this error may cause the computer to function incorrectly.

Error: (10/07/2013 09:47:33 PM) (Source: ACPI) (User: )

Error: (10/07/2013 09:47:28 PM) (Source: ACPI) (User: )

Error: (10/07/2013 09:47:23 PM) (Source: ACPI) (User: )

Error: (10/07/2013 09:23:37 PM) (Source: HECIx64) (User: )
Description: Intel® Management Engine Interface driver has failed to perform handshake with the Firmware.

Error: (10/07/2013 09:24:07 PM) (Source: EventLog) (User: )
Description: The previous system shutdown at 9:21:19 PM on ?7/?10/?2013 was unexpected.

Error: (10/07/2013 07:37:54 PM) (Source: HECIx64) (User: )

Error: (10/07/2013 07:34:02 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: Windows Update Core.

Microsoft Office Sessions:
=========================
Error: (10/07/2013 09:52:26 PM) (Source: WinMgmt)(User: )

Error: (10/07/2013 09:25:22 PM) (Source: WinMgmt)(User: )

Error: (10/07/2013 09:21:15 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )
Description: http://www.download....uthrootstl.cabA required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (10/07/2013 08:42:42 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )
Description: http://www.download....uthrootstl.cabA required certificate is not within its validity period when verifying against the current system clock or the timestamp in the signed file.

Error: (10/07/2013 08:42:34 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

Error: (10/07/2013 08:42:34 PM) (Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2)(User: )

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

Dell System Detect (Version: 5.3.0.3)
Google Chrome (Version: 30.0.1599.69)
Google Update Helper (Version: 1.3.21.153)
Java 7 Update 40 (Version: 7.0.400)
Java Auto Updater (Version: 2.1.9.8)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile (Version: 4.0.30319)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended (Version: 4.0.30319)
NVIDIA Control Panel 327.23 (Version: 327.23)
NVIDIA Graphics Driver 327.23 (Version: 327.23)
NVIDIA Install Application (Version: 2.1002.133.902)
Realtek Ethernet Controller All-In-One Windows Driver (Version: 1.12.0016)
Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (Version: 6.0.1.6312)
Windows Driver Package - Intel (NETw5s64) net (05/31/2010 13.2.1.5) (Version: 05/31/2010 13.2.1.5)
Windows Driver Package - Intel (NETw5v64) net (05/31/2010 13.2.1.5) (Version: 05/31/2010 13.2.1.5)

========================= Devices: ================================

Name: Intel® Management Engine Interface
Description: Intel® Management Engine Interface
Class Guid: {4d36e97d-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Manufacturer: Intel
Service: HECIx64
Problem: : This device cannot start. (Code10)
Resolution: Device failed to start. Click "Update Driver" to update the drivers for this device.
On the "General Properties" tab of the device, click "Troubleshoot" to start the troubleshooting wizard.

Name: Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
Description: Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
Class Guid:
Manufacturer:
Service:
Problem: : The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
Resolution: To install the drivers for this device, click "Update Driver", which starts the Hardware Update wizard.

Name:
Description:
Class Guid:
Manufacturer:
Service:
Problem: : The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
Resolution: To install the drivers for this device, click "Update Driver", which starts the Hardware Update wizard.

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 25%
Total physical RAM: 6076.38 MB
Available physical RAM: 4524.34 MB
Total Pagefile: 12150.96 MB
Available Pagefile: 10430.52 MB
Total Virtual: 4095.88 MB
Available Virtual: 3963.3 MB

========================= Partitions: =====================================

1 Drive c: (OS) (Fixed) (Total:451.07 GB) (Free:188.85 GB) NTFS
3 Drive f: (RECOVERY) (Fixed) (Total:14.65 GB) (Free:7.87 GB) NTFS

========================= Users: ========================================

User accounts for \\PORK10

Administrator Guest Kazimir Lee Iskander
UpdatusUser

========================= Minidump Files ==================================

No minidump file found

**** End of log ****

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
First and foremost, this line speaks volumes...

...new-new chipsetted laptop back from the shop, didn't fix it, installed ubuntu briefly, didn't fix it, performed a clean windows 7 hp install, didn't fix it...

The fact that you've tried not only Windows but uBuntu, then reinstalled Windows - Making 3 installations all having same issues... Well that speaks a lot about this. Now I will review your MTB log and see if my opinion may change or not...

Well you sure are having issues with Windows updating agents, as well as with some drivers missing/not being installed. However with all the issues you've had, plus all the different OS's failing out with same issue... It's likely to be something hardware related. Do you have any external devices plugged in with memory? External hard drives for instance or jump/flash drives. . . If not, then we need to look into running some more tests. What hardware tests have you run so far?