Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Long Beep on start-up - HP2000-363NR Laptop

• Please log in to reply

Sure

Sure

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have HP2000-363NR Laptop.
I did not use it for about 10 days. Thereafter, when I switched it on, it started giving a long beep. I did a forced switch-off and switched on again. Once again a long beep, but after tapping a few keys at random it started up with a DOS screen, asking me to make a choice of system to start. I have Windows 7 and that was the only choice listed there. After I press 'Enter', Windows gets loaded and there is no problem for the whole session therafter.
This is the way it happens every time I switch on the Laptop.
In a couple of these instances, I also ran a Windows Diagnostic Tool, which ran a Test and declared 'No problem was noticed'.
I had read an advice elsewhere on similar problem that removing and re-fitting RAM module may help. I tried it, but it did not work.
I am sure somebody will be able to help me on this Forum - Thanks in anticipation!

Advertisements

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
It would sound like a memory problem. I think it's looking for a device on startup and emitted a long beep when not found. That's my best guess.

Sure

Sure

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks - as I said, I tried removing and refitting the RAM module but it did not work.