Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Profile won't log on

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

My results, let me know your prognosis?

Hi,

It seems ok chkdsk fixed some minor problem.

Before we can move on I need to know your answer to this question:

Do you have any new files/folders stored on the new user account Warhawk2? Can it be simply replaced with the files/folders from your old/Bad profile?

And also if any of the other user accounts Dad and familia are Administrators of the machine?

Advertisements

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Yes for the Dad login, not sure about the second one. I can always create a new log in to copy over my data. I have new files for my Warhawk2 login.

Edited by RebelGamer137, 06 October 2013 - 06:20 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Yes for the Dad login, not sure about the second one. I can always create a new log in to copy over my data. I have new files for my Warhawk2 login.

• In that case I recommend to create a completely new user account for you and after that merge all the files from the bad profile and from the Warhawk2 account. You need to be logged on the system with an account with Administrator privileges to be able to create new user accounts.
  • After creating the new account you have to configure windows to show hidden and System files...
    How to show hidden files in Windows 7
    Besides the options on the article uncheck also this one Hide extensions for know file types
  • Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
    • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista or above accept the Security Warning).
    • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
    • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
    • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.
  • Logon one time with the new user account to initialize the user profile. Restart the computer to make sure the profile is released.
  • Logon on windows with the Warhawk2 user
  • Open the folder C:\Users\User 1\
  • Select all the files and folders except the ones with name starting with NTuser..., on the Organize menu click Copy
  • Open the folder with the new profile c:\Users\<NewUser>\ (Replace <NewUser> with the user name you create on step 1)
  • From the Organize menu click Paste and accept to replace all the files.
  • Locate the files you want to transfer from the account Warhawk2 and copy them to the folders on the new user profile inside c:\Users\<NewUser>\

If you have doubts about any of the above steps please ask before doing it.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
If I go through with this, will I get my bookmarks from my old login back?

Edited by RebelGamer137, 07 October 2013 - 03:44 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

If I go through with this, will I get my bookmarks from my old login back?

It should, in what browser they are saved?

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
I use Firefox

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

I use Firefox

Hi,

On second thought they will not appear on Firefox or Google Chrome because the programs most likely will create a new profile and don't import the old one. This can be easily fixed.

• First on the new user account start Firefox to initialize a new profile
  • At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Help menu and select Troubleshooting Information. The Troubleshooting Information tab will open.
    Under the Application Basics section, click on Show Folder. A window with your profile files will open.
  • Close Firefox
  • Take note of your current profile folder name, it will be something with <random_chars>.default. Now go up one level (you can use the Backspace key)
  • On the parent folder you should see to sub-folders named <random_chars>.default one is your new profile and the other is your old one if you did copy everything according to my steps on post #18
  • Change the name of the folder corresponding to your new profile to <random_chars>.default.old
  • Change the name of the folder corresponding to your old profile to the exact name you took note on step 4
  • Start Firefox. Your Bookmarks and everything else should be back now.