Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router has to be reset often

• Please log in to reply

bruceb3

bruceb3

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I know, the router make and model helps but I'm at work now. I have my 2computers hardwired into my router. For the last two months about every third or forth time I try to get online, I get a message that I'm not connected. I push the reset button on the back of the router and I'm good for another day or two, then it happens again. The router is about 2years old and was a good one. I seem to think it's a dir 855.

Advertisements

bruceb3

bruceb3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Nope, it's a dir-655. I just updated the firmware to 1.37.See if it helps.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If a firmware update doesn't help, try replacing it. Sadly these things seem to break far too commonly.

13o13

13o13

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
This doesnt really help the issue any, but i used to have a dir655 as well - actually i still do have it, just dont use it anymore.

I currently use a dgl-4500. It also needs reset from time to time. the dir655 i had needed them almost weekly. i did a bit of reading and made several attempts to reconfigure it different ways to find something that would stop this need to powercycle it. Unfortunately, i never found anything that worked.

However, I do remember reading in one of the forums that certain firmware versions in the dlink line have a known issue where the routing tables become corrupted and prevent it from routing data correctly if at all. power cycling the router allows it to reestablish a base line and recreate those tables. I am not certain how true that is, but it does make sense (to me anyways).

I have had a few different dlink routers and a couple different linksys routers as well and they all encountered this from time to time. i have heard of friends having this issue with other brand routers. Also, I have seen this happen on commercial cicso alpine routers (I used to work on an it help desk and remember a couple of instances where the network admin had to reboot the routers because they werent routing anything, talk about bringing a company to its knees). This may not be an issue that is avoidable completely. But as Troy said, check the firmware. I would suggest reading up on new firmware before flashing though, Dlink likes to "lock" the firmware to where you cannot rollback to a previous version. read through the update and patch notes on the new firmware and see if it sounds like it will help your issue out. if it doesnt have anything that sounds appealing and the resetting is the only issue you have, may be better to keep things as they are.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I work in IT also, I run my own business providing IT support to other business clients. For the last few years I have been selling TP-Link modems and routers, and since making the switch all of these issues have practically come to nil. My own office, my home, everywhere is now running these.

On another note, I have one client who has a Belkin unit at his home connection, one time when he was having issues I noticed it had a "self heal feature". This feature was basically a scheduled power cycle... :blink:

13o13

13o13

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
haha. a scheduled power cycle. clever!

I am sorry, i did not mean to say i knew more than anyone did. I actually meant to emphasize your point of looking into newer firmware. But i also wanted to caution about the "locking" in dlink's firmwares. I havent had an experience in IT in several years now so i am likely behind the times. Even when i was working the help desk, it was just that - a help desk. i got the lucky man's job of resetting passwords and remoting into troublesome terminals, etc; nothing major other than the weekly backups and even that was a scripted routine each week. My dgl4500 is a few years old as well - it is probably old tech by now :)

TP-Link? I havent heard the name. Though it sounds like one of them got it right!

...alrighty.. back to Dr. Who...