Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad sectors on secondary HDD

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. it started out i had problem with system restore not working,error code.I ran at elevated command prompt for both drives used chkdsk /f /r then dism /online /cleanup-
image /restorehealth and scandisk.That seemed to fix the problem with system restore.After checking the log for chkdsk and saw i had bad sectors on d: drive i believe this
drive caused system restore not to work.Now i use a program called Hard Disk Sentinel it says health on D:drive is 95% and performance is 100%.I receive on the main screen
for the D: drive,there are 8 weak sectors found on the disk surface.They may be able to be remapped any time in later use of the disk.When using program to run a surface
test get error unable to lock the disk for exclusive use d:\error: access is denied,hard disk sentinel says to just continue ignore lock error.I read in a forum about fixing
problems seen in logs in program and after running chkdsk by reinitialise disk surface after a surface test,saying the sectors will be likely fixed and the errors will be removed health
will increase.I know this process can wipe whole drive,it warns you of it but there is nothing on the drive now it's my second disk not primary.What there help says about
it:

Reinitialize disk surface - Overwrites the disk surface with special initialization pattern to restore the sectors to default (empty) status and reads back sector contents,
to verify if they are accessible and consistent.Forces the analysis of any weak sectors and verifies any hidden problems and fixes them by reallocation of bad sectors (this
is drive regeneration).Enables better use of the disk as after the test the spare area will be used instead of any problematic sectors.Very intensive and time-consuming
test, especially if the level (the number of overwrite cycles) is set to higher value.The simple version of this test is usually (incorrectly) called as low level format by
other tools. It can be effectively used to permanently destruct stored information (Navso P-5239-26 standard data destruction).

Each tests have different configuration options:
using Disk -> Surface test -> Reinitialise disk surface, the sectors will be likely fixed and the errors will be removed from the text description (and the health% will
increase as well).Basically the "weak" sectors are not bad sectors. Most of the time, they even not related to hard disk problems as non-standard shutdown (reset/power
failure) can cause this status for a particular sector.The drive marks these sectors as "pending" for reallocation. So on further disk usage these sectors may or may not be
reallocated.Usually if you perform a Disk -> Surface test -> Read test, it properly shows the location of these sectors Also Disk -> Surface test -> Reinitialise disk
surface test forces the hard disk to verify the status of the sector and re-allocate (to prevent further using of that sector) OR to remove this "pending" (weak) status if
the sector seems to be usable.

Question is will this work to fix and improve the drive?Not an old drive.Only a year old Hitachi 1 TB SATA III 6gbs.I attached two chkdsk logs one i did first after error
with system restore,one i did afterwards when it was fixed.Any advice much appreciated.TY

Attached Files

Edited by jds63, 03 October 2013 - 01:14 PM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
this post has been resolved no need of further help,determined drive is still good,was fixed by other means,thanks all for looking at post and trying to help!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for letting us know. I'm glad you got it resolved even though we had not responded yet.
:thumbsup: