Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot access administrator files

• Please log in to reply

turtle2953

turtle2953

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I am running Windows 7 64 bit and for the last couple of months I have not been able to access any of the files on my main profile. I have been having to log in as a guest on my pc. I have reset my password, but when I try to log in under the new password the computer tells me that the profile will not load. I am completely stumped. Help!!

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
First and foremost, does your current profile have administrator rights? Unless you're an administrator, you wont be able to without editing the security permissions and ownership of the files.

turtle2953

turtle2953

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
My current profile is a guest profile because somehow my normal profile got locked. I don't know how but one day I logged fine, and the next I was locked out. So my question is how do I go about getting back into my normal profile? My pc allowed me to change the password and log in to my normal profile, but it is locking me out of all adminstrator rights. I am typing in my new password and it is simply telling me that there is an issue and I cannot log in at this time.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Unfortunately, as the Geeks To Go Terms of Use (TOU) state, we cannot really assist in bypassing or taking over administrator rights. This is because we can't remotely be sure the machine is yours and that you are the administrator.

However I will give you the following recommendations. Now you can try using your installation media (Windows Disk) and the Repair features to try and restore back to a previous date. You can also use it to access the recovery consoles command prompt and make a new account and add it to the administrators user group. I will not be able to give you exact steps but those should allow you to get access if you do have the user and password like stated.

turtle2953

turtle2953

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I kind of figured that was going to have to be my next step. I have lost my Windows disk, do I have to buy a new one or is there a website that I can download it? Thanks again for your help!

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
What version of Windows do you have? I'll see if I can get you a direct link?