Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java displaying ClassNotFoundException error

• Please log in to reply

Centrist

Centrist

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I am a long-time lurker, first time poster.

I am fairly good with computers but this one consumed a full day of work and I cannot find the cause of the issue.

I am building a website and my host requires Java Applets. I don't usually have Java on my machine, so I installed it successfully but it will not load. All I receive is an error that says: ClassNotFoundException.

I am running on Windows 8, and I have tried both IE 10 and Chrome, same result on both.

Before you say it, I am aware that Java only runs in desktop mode, this is not the cause. I tried restarting, installing/re-installing/checked to make sure IE is not blocking it/turned off my firewall/turned off my anti-virus. No change at all. Be aware that I run my browser through a VPN, could that be the cause?

Any ideas as to what is causing this issue?

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
First and foremost, welcome to Geeks To Go's forums! I hope you stick around after we've assisted you in resolving this issue, as there is a lot of great members and information available on Geeks To Go's site. Now that the pleasantries have been said, let's take a look at your issue and see what we can do to resolve it!  
STEP ONE: Clearing Possible Internet Issues
  • At this point and time I'd like you to get the utility MiniToolBox and run it with the following checked items.
  • Flush DNS
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • Only-Problems (leave it checked)

After you've just the above items, please then hit GO. Once it's done running, which normally doesn't take too long, it will have a text or log file pop up. Please copy & paste that into a reply. [/list]
Another good run would be to reset your IE settings:
  • Now open your Start Menu and go into your Control Panel
  • Once in your Control Panel go to Internet Options (might want to make the 'View by:' set to small)
  • In this window, please go to the Advanced tab.
  • On this tab, let's click the following; Reset...
  • Don't check the box on the next page, then click 'Reset' at the bottom
  • Once this little window (Reset Internet Explorer Settings) puts check boxes next to all 3 items, click 'Close'
  • This will exit the Internet Options, please reopen it via Control Panel
  • Let's verify a few settings, listed below;
  • Go to the tab 'Connections' and click on 'LAN Settings'. Unless using a proxy, verify 'Automatically detect settings' checkbox is checked and nothing else is entered.
  • Go back to the 'General' tab now and in the 'Browsing History' select 'Delete' and then check all the boxes except 'Form Data' and 'Passwords'. Then hit 'Delete' at the bottom. Give this a minute to run.
  • Make sure to also set the 'Homepage' to a known page (www.Google.com for instance) while on the 'General' tab.
  • Now close and restart your Internet Explorer. Does issue persist?
STEP TWO: Alternative Installer
You can also look into using Ninite and checking the box on there for Java, then allowing that silent install to run. I use this site/option regularly and have seen it push past many of errors before, without issues down the road (just to clarify).

Edited by PhrantiQ, 05 October 2013 - 09:49 AM.

Centrist

Centrist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your prompt reply.

I followed the above instructions but, alas, there is no change. The error is still the same. Here is the result of the test.

Microsoft Windows 8 Pro (X64)
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= Flush DNS: ===================================

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

"Reset IE Proxy Settings": IE Proxy Settings were reset.
========================= Hosts content: =================================

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost

=========================== Installed Programs ============================

?????? 2012 ?????? (KB2723161) (Version: 15.0.1233)
µTorrent (Version: 3.3.1.30017)
7-Zip 9.20
Apple Application Support (Version: 2.3.4)
Apple Mobile Device Support (Version: 6.1.0.13)
Apple Software Update (Version: 2.1.3.127)
Astrill
BOCNET Security Applet 2.1
CCleaner (Version: 4.00)
ETDWare PS/2-X64 10.7.17.5_WHQL (Version: 10.7.17.5)
GIMP 2.8.2 (Version: 2.8.2)
Google Chrome (Version: 31.0.1650.8)
Google Update Helper (Version: 1.3.21.153)
Intel® Processor Graphics (Version: 9.17.10.2867)
iTunes (Version: 11.0.4.4)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (Version: 8.0.59193)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (Version: 8.0.61001)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.17 (Version: 9.0.30729)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161 (Version: 9.0.30729.6161)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148 (Version: 9.0.30729.4148)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 (Version: 9.0.30729.6161)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.30319 (Version: 10.0.30319)
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 (Version: 10.0.40219)
MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (KB2721691) (Version: 4.30.2114.0)
MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (KB2758694) (Version: 4.30.2117.0)
MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (Version: 4.30.2100.0)
OpenOffice 4.0.0 (Version: 4.00.9702)
TrueCrypt (Version: 7.1a)
Visual Studio 2012 x64 Redistributables (Version: 14.0.0.1)
Visual Studio 2012 x86 Redistributables (Version: 14.0.0.1)
VLC media player 2.1.0 (Version: 2.1.0)
WampServer 2.4
Youku Downloader(xmlbar)(remove only)

========================= Devices: ================================

**** End of log ****

Edit: Bear in mind that I did not have Java installed at the moment I ran the scan. I re-installed it after :)
As you can see, my computer is sparse as far as programs go. I still have no idea why Java doesn't work.

Edited by Centrist, 06 October 2013 - 02:31 AM.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
WARNING: Person-To-Person Programs Found
  • After reviewing your previous post and logs, it has become apparent that you have downloaded some software through illegal methods. This may be done through person to person (P2P) applications/torrents or straight downloads from sites. Either way, I'd like to inform you of the risks of such actions and choices. Although there are legal torrents, more often than not P2P programs are used for illegal downloads and often times have very high risks.
  • A very large portion of common infections are spread through the downloading of torrents or other illegally downloaded digital items.
  • Although the P2P programs are not directly responsible for any of the infections, we highly recommend your remove them before continuing.
  • If you choose to not remove these P2P programs, I will have to request you pause/stop all the downloads and exit the application out until we've successfully cleaned out your machine and solved all your issues.
  • That includes not installing any downloaded software other than the items I recommend and guide you to use.
With that being said I'd like to point you to two articles that discuss the risks of P2P or file-sharing technologies in more detail, in which I hope you take the time to review before making the decision to keep or uninstall the P2P software from your machine.Currently Installed P2P Programs:
  • µTorrent (Version: 3.3.1.30017)
If you decide to go ahead with the removals, please follow these 3 steps to get your Windows Uninstaller open:
  • Push the 'Windows Key' and 'R' at same time (the 'Windows Key' is located between Ctrl and Alt)
  • Copy and paste or type out the following into the 'Run' window: appwiz.cpl
  • Select the program you wish to remove and click 'Uninstall'
Just to clarify again, if you go against our strong advisement to remove the P2P programs at this time you are to cease using the programs until our work is done and your machine is stated as clean. This includes installing/running any previously downloaded items through the programs. [/list]WARNING: Illegal Downloads & Software
  • After looking through your logs it has become apparent that you have one or more cracked or illegally installed pieces of software on your machine. Beyond this being illegal, it is also one of the most common ways for malware to spread and infect machines. Key/serial generators or cracks are some of the most common items to have malicious software embedded into them, as they often pop false positives even if they have no malicious intent or items. So when they do come up as infected, they are often ignored or allowed anyway. To find out more, you can review the following links for more specific details:
  • Using pirated software? Swashbuckling with risk!
  • Net providers begin warning of illegal downloads

Alright now I know this error normally occurs due to proxies/VPN's in use, so please follow through with the guidance on the link I provide and see if anything may need to be configured. How do I configure proxy settings for Java?
If we are still unable to do anything, then I will want to look further into your network settings and routing, but for now maybe this will be enough.

Edited by PhrantiQ, 06 October 2013 - 05:51 AM.

Centrist

Centrist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry but if you look carefully at the programs I have on my machine, all of them are freely available and/or open source, and legally installed. Contrary to your post, I have no "cracked or illegally installed" software.

The use of utorrent is not illegal, and as someone who lives in China, it comes in handy when I am unable to download certain programs (like a true version of Skype) due to the Great Firewall.

Thanks for your advice. Now, I followed the above instructions, it didn't solve my problem as Java was already set to use the browser's VPN configuration. Nonetheless it pointed me in the right direction.

I had tried disabling the VPN before to see if the VPN was causing the issue, to no avail. What I found was that Chrome, being my default browser in Windows 8, does not support Java as Chrome is running the new Metro mode. As a result, I had been using IE (which remained in Desktop mode and therefore should theoretically support Java). However, it seems that Java only runs in the default browser for some reason....and ONLY if the VPN is disabled. This mean I have to switch Chrome to Desktop mode and disable my VPN completely in order to open a Java applet. This, in my view, is not an acceptable solution, but at least we know what the issue is.