Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Noisy fan on startup

• Please log in to reply

Sking0

Sking0

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Windows 7 64 bit. AMD 9950 Quad core. 4 gig RAM.PSU Corsair CX 600. AMD Radeon R6870 1 gig GDDR5.

Hi. I have posted about this problem before. I thought it had gone away but it is just a random thing.
When the pc starts up it makes a loud whirring noise, not just whirring like a fan running very fast, it sounds sort of like a metallic noise,
hard to explain really.....Anyway, It seems that this mostly happens if the pc has been switched off for 24 hours or more, but even then it doesn't happen every time.
I took the tower out of the cabinet and placed it on top of the cabinet so i could take the side of the case off when i started it up and try and pinpoint which fan is making the noise.
As long as the tower stood on top of the cabinet and i was ready to locate the noise it didn't make that sound. Weird...I know. After about 2 weeks i put it back in the cabinet and it did it again, and has done it randomly ever since.
I always keep the inside as unclogged with dust as possible. There is plenty of room on all sides of the case to allow for good air flow.
When i log into windows and the desktop has fully loaded the noise in question slows down and stops and then sounds normal.
I have had the PC for about 5 years and the graphics card and PSU for about 1.5 years.
In 'Speccy' the CPU average temp says 50 degrees C. The motherboard temp says 32 degrees C.
Don't know if any more info is needed? It is just really annoying as i can't locate which fan is doing it.
Also when i run Skyrim the vid card seems to have to work way too hard. (I do run quite a few mods on the game though). But Max Payne 3 runs and there is no noticeable difference in the sound. I doubt if the gaming part is relevant but thought i would put it in just in case.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Well airflow plus the side panel being off makes a large difference. Now fans are one thing that will run heavy on a complete off to turning on, then slow down. Now I can't necessarily tell you which fan it is for a fact, as it takes being in person to do that - However I can recommend thoroughly cleaning out your heat sync for your CPU, then taking some canned air to the rest of your system fans. Also you can look for capacitor issues, which I will post below...

Let's look at your Motherboard. Open the side panel of your case, so you can view the motherboard clearly. Then let's look for Expanded Capacitors. Below are links to some examples of
Expanded Capacitors. Please review your board for any of these, as capacitors have been known to cause many issues in electronics of all sorts (TV's to Computers to Garage Openers). Please post back with your findings, including a number count and possible pictures (if you have that option available to you).

Also for your 'gaming part' you are running the system harder than if you were not running anything, so fans will speed up or get more power delivered to them during these periods. Maybe running a stress test on the system when you can peak around for the fans will be enough to trip it up, just saying that may be a good possibility and a method I've used to verify a fan in question.

Edited by PhrantiQ, 05 October 2013 - 09:44 AM.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Thanks for the reply. Will look into that and get back to you.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Hi. No such things as bad capacitors on motherboard but things have got worse.
I did a dust clean in the tower. I disconnected the fan from the PSU to clean it and generally see if i could find an issue with it that would cause the noise. I took off the processor heatsink and cleaned it out. I then put the thing back together and it all sounded smoother.
Now, i am getting 'No Signal' message on the monitor. Everything is plugged back in exactly as it was. I tried a DVI cable from my daughters pc, no change, then i tried another monitor which i know to be working, no luck. Then i tried another vid card which is working, no change.
All the fans are spinning in the units in the tower. I grounded myself before doing anything inside the tower.I have done quite a bit of stuff inside pc's over the years and i am far from clumsy nor am i heavy handed, if something doesn't want to go, i will start from scratch but i never use force. I treat the thing like a baby.
The only thing i can thing of is that all the mains plugs are going into a multi socket surge adapter. The broadband is plugged into this so when i do anything in the PC i generally switch of the power supply before i pull the cable out of the back (if not i have to keep disconnecting 3 other people in the house). Over the years, a number of times, i have disconnected the DVI cable whilst the moniter is plugged in. Today i heard a tiny electrical noise as i plugged the cable back into the pc. This is why i have tried different cables, vid cards and leads.
I am all out of ideas now. Would it be useful to start this as a new topic?

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I just took the monitor up and plugged it into my daughters pc, it works fine there.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Please pull out your RAM and then reinstall it one stick at a time (if there are multiple). Make sure computer is OFF and UNPLUGGED (to be safe) while doing this. Now, if this resolves it great... If not disconnect your hard drives power and data cables, plus the CD/DVD ROM's. Then remove all plugs for power on motherboard, then plug the motherboard back in and see if it boots. If still nothing post back, if it now shows the BIOS at all - Then plug back in your hard drive and cd/dvd rom.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Thanks. Will get back to you later today.

Do you mean,take out all the RAM then put 1 stick back and turn pc on then off again and do this with all 4 sticks?

Edited by Sking0, 17 October 2013 - 10:50 AM.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
If one stick works, add another. Then continue on. If at any point it fails, remove the last stick you put in and see if it works again. Post back with your results.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Did all that. Still get the 'No video' message.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Shut down. Remove all RAM. What does it do? Pay attention to noise/sounds and see if it even notices the lack of RAM.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
All i noticed with booting without RAM was three noises, all the same noise but with about 1 second between each noise, hard to explain but kind of like a train 'chuffing' but short, mettalicy and higher pitch, sorry, best description i can come up with. Apart from that after about 6 seconds of booting, as all the parts are kicking in there is a small kind of click from the hard drive, nothing new i think, it just is more noticeable with the cover off and my ear right there.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Thought about that noise last night and it is almost like a tiny amount of compressed air being released (hence the train....steam.
Anyway, today i tried my daughters video card (Asus HD7707) in my pc and i still got the same 'No Video Signal', then we put my video card in her PC and
the same message came up on her screen.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
That noise is from your onboard or attached motherboard speaker. It is to help notify you of a RAM issues, based on the error code you got.

Honestly you should try unseating your CPU heatsink and redoing all the connections of the cables to your drives and the motherboard.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I appreciate what you are saying but today i put my vid card in my daughters pc and the screen just gave the same 'No video signal' message.
This points straight to the card being the fault but her vid card will not make my pc work either. That means there must be something else wrong as well?

I just took off the heatsink and replaced it, put a different PSU in the pc and my daughters old vid card, all the connections were sound. I got the same message :-(
By process of elimination it seems likely that it is the vid card and MB or vid card and processor. I can't imagine it being the processor, but i am not an expert.
I say MB as well as the vid card doesn't work in my daughters pc.

Edited by Sking0, 18 October 2013 - 09:40 AM.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Been reading about this CMOS jumper stuff. Would that be worth a try?