Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Long time no post - printer woes

• Please log in to reply

Louise's Dad

Louise's Dad

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Goodness me it is years since I have posted on here, but I just cannot fix the problem. My lovely old Dell Dimensions is dying so I have bought a new PC which (unfortunately it seems) runs on Windows 8. I am learning how to use it (and delete lots of rubbish) but I just cannot get it to see my printer. We have about 5 devices that happily talk to the printer but not my new PC. I have switched on sharing but every time I go to the 'Add a printer' menu it just hangs.

Any solutions please?

Many thanks

Rob

Advertisements

Louise's Dad

Louise's Dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I appear to have done it! By installing Windows updates it seems to have worked. It found the printer and although it said set up had failed it still prints.

Windows 8 in my 6 hours experience is a crock. I loved XP, why did they change!

Any comments on how to keep on side with the printer would be gratefully received!

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Louise's Dad

Possibly caused by a missing driver, can you post the brand and model name or number of the printer for us please.

Give Windows 8 a chance as you may find that it grows on you, it did with me once I added the Start orb/taskbar so that it is more like W7.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Windows 8 can be a bit difficult to use compared to Windows 7. It can be tamed though.

Start Button:
If you install Classic Shell (free) or Stardock's Start8 ($4.99) or similar software then you can have the Start button as it was in Windows 7 and boot directly to the Desktop. You can still play with Metro stuff but it's not forced on you.

Windows 7 games:
You can also get the Windows 7 games for Windows 8, see here: http://www.eightforu...html#post136935

Windows 7 Gadgets:
Windows 7 Gadgets are also available if you want them: 8GadgetPack - Gadgets for Windows 8

UAC:
I find UAC extremely annoying. If you do too then to (mostly) disable UAC, Press Windows key + R to open the Run window.
Type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Tools tab.
Select Change UAC settings and click Launch.
Move the slider all the way to the bottom then click OK.
Some parts of UAC will still be alive, so to completely disable it you need to change a registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
Key: EnableLUA
Set the value to 0

You cannot use any Metro Apps or the App Store when UAC is disabled. If you've gone this far, you can also disable all hot corners so you will not get any of the Windows Charms popups. Just check the Classic Shell and Start8 options to do this.

Louise's Dad

Louise's Dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Thanks for the info, I went to Ninite and downloaded the Start Button which helped enromously. Had a nightmare today whereby I eventually had to do a system restore (only been on 20 hours) and wiped all the good stuff I had done, still back up and running and the printer was found straight away.

Fingers crossed it will keep being nice!

Thanks

Rob