Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow, jerky, out of sync video

• Please log in to reply

RustyWrex

RustyWrex

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
After a system failure and a new motherboard (end 2012), my rebuilt system with XP Service Pack3 ran video fine, with fluid motion and lip-sync speech. At least for a while.
It has degenerated to extremely jerky video and sound far out of synch. In short a mess.
Having done some research on the subject I see XP in its wisdom resets DMA input/ output to PIO, without of course XP saying anything. Much less giving any helpful tips about streaming video.
My understanding of streaming video is data received from video streaming source is basically, switch buffers and squirt it out through the graphics processor and display on screen plus sound through sound processor.
i.e. no clever transformations requiring large amounts of graphics processing e.g. as in rotations etc on 3D draughting packages.
So my thoughts are that XP is / has changed DMA I/O to cripplingly slow PIO I/O, hence dismal video display as a series of 'stills' and even picture break up into squares, with sound miles out of sync and even 'splashy' break up of sound.
I did some cleaning up of software on my system via Control Panel and Add/ Remove software, to see if it removed any system overhead. Anything that said 'rarely used' got deleted. It did seem to make a slight improvement -- for a short time (few days)-- then back to square one again.
I don't do anything else using graphics other than edit pictures from my Canon Power Shot A580 very basic digital camera. I did have to reload .Netframe3.5 to get my Canon picture editing suit (Zoom Browser EX) to work.
Can anyone confirm / otherwise if DMA is reset to PIO and is affecting video streaming? If it is how do I set back to DMA again? But in any case help me out of the treacle swamp I seem to be stuck in with video.
Perhaps I should add I run Open Office 4.0.1 but everything else is plain vanilla Bill Gates ware.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

Can anyone confirm / otherwise if DMA is reset to PIO and is affecting video streaming? If it is how do I set back to DMA again? But in any case help me out of the treacle swamp I seem to be stuck in with video.

PIO mode is enabled by default in the following situations:
For repeated DMA errors. Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more that six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device.

In this case, the user cannot turn on DMA for this device. The only option for the user who wants to enable DMA mode is to uninstall and reinstall the device.

Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving more than six CRC errors. Whenever possible, the operating system will step down one UDMA mode at a time (from UDMA mode 4 to UDMA mode 3, and so on).

Please see link for additional information....

http://winhlp.com/node/10

Joe

Edited by zep516, 06 October 2013 - 08:46 PM.