Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

WiFi help

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
We have an xfinity (Arris TC 862) combination modem and wireless router from Comcast. We have two laptops and an Xbox all wirelessly working without a single problem. However my desktop pc which is connected to the modem/router by means of an Ethernet cable keeps losing the network connection. The connection blinks on and off and I get a message saying that we have no internet service, and then it comes back on. This happens all day on all three internet browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google chrome). Can I just use Wi-Fi on my desktop to eliminate the problem?

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,062 posts
First, try uninstalling your Ethernet connection from Device Manager. Reboot, let XP rediscover it and reinstall the drivers. See if that helps. If not, see if there is a newer driver for the Ethernet connection.

What is the make and model number (complete) of your computer?

Otherwise, a better choice would be to install a new PCI Ethernet card and not use the built-in (on-board) Ethernet connection. They are quite cheap.

cheap pci gigabit ethernet card

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,302 posts
Check also for a loose ethernet cable or a bad cable.
Suspect (as stated) a possible bad ethernet card.