Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iPad question

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I will be investing in a tablet soon and while I have been looking at other options, I always seem to be drawn back to the iPad, which is kind of weird since I have always been a die hard PC guy. Anyway, the biggest and maybe the only flaw I can see with the iPad is that there is no USB port or SD card slot. So since I'm not terribly familiar with these things I have to ask the obvious stupid question; how do I get data, like large media files, into the iPad? I have everything on my laptop; all my work files and media and a lot of movies and music but it's a large laptop so not all that convenient and easy to access quickly, say on a long overseas flight. Obviously an iPad would be so much easier. So before I buy, and at the risk of sounding like a complete non technical newb, how would I transfer about 60 GB of media from my laptop to an iPad?

Edited by brettt777, 07 October 2013 - 01:12 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
I believe the apple answer to that is that you would need to have all your files on another apple computer and user their cloud sync type stuff to sync the files over the air. I think the actual solution is to connect the ipad to your local network via wifi and transfer files through a network share, or something similar. i'd imagine there's an app for that as well.

i'm not a big fan of apple, and I don't have an i(anything), and it's mostly because of stuff like this. i mean...seriously, no SD slot in a mobile device? (said by a guy who's current phone does not have removable storage....stupid decision Motorola...stupid decision).

brettt777

brettt777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I believe the apple answer to that is that you would need to have all your files on another apple computer and user their cloud sync type stuff to sync the files over the air. I think the actual solution is to connect the ipad to your local network via wifi and transfer files through a network share, or something similar. i'd imagine there's an app for that as well.

i'm not a big fan of apple, and I don't have an i(anything), and it's mostly because of stuff like this. i mean...seriously, no SD slot in a mobile device? (said by a guy who's current phone does not have removable storage....stupid decision Motorola...stupid decision).

Yeah, I don't get it either. They have what many consider to be the best tablet on the market and still no removable storage. Almost every other mobile device in the world (except for your phone of course...) has at least a micro SD slot. What's up with that, Apple? I am sure there have been more than a few potential customers that have went a different direction just because of this issue. I might be one of them...

Tashman

Tashman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Furthermore, the storage on the basic iPad4 is only 16GB; that one costs £399 in the UK. If you want 32GB, 64GB or 128GB, you have to BUY the appropriate Model, there's no way to upgrade and the 128GB Model costs over £700 here.

The iPad 5 will be introduced soon and it is likely that the prices of the iPad4 will be reduced, but there are other tablet PCs out there for half the price, with all the features which are disappointingly lacking on the iPads. They at least have a USB port, SD card slot etc. and none of the hassles of transferring stuff through iTunes or iCloud. It may be a brilliant piece of kit, but unless you just have to be able to say, 'I've got an iPad', I think you can do better, for your needs.

It's a pity, because there are great features like Facetalk and Siri, 2 cameras, (one captures HD video);
Hope you find the info useful.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Movement of files is an issue on these devices. I just got a company Iphone and will be getting a company Ipad soon. Although the company is supposed to be "pushing" to the Ipad all documents and files we will ever need (boy what a laugh on that), I know its not true.

I am also disappointed that I can't save a word, excel, or pdf anyplace on my Iphone. Since there are a few that need to be referenced every day. I stored them on my Black berry and it was than starting the laptop up.

My suggestion is to install Dropbox. I use that for moving and storing between a few computers for work.
I am using Mozy Free Sync for my home computer to my tablet and the work computer so I can move personal files.
I use Dropbox for work and needed to separate the programs so I use Mozy for personal. I have the apps installed on the Iphone so I get everything I want and need.

So far both programs are about the same. They are free and give 2gb of space. Just drop the file into a folder and it is synced across all devices.

Elton yu

Elton yu

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
This is the answer to the question u asked that i understood..
If ur looking for the answer to the question how to move media files into your ipad,download itunes on pc then connect your ipad charger cable to the pc
Open iTunes if it doesn't open automatically.if you click on menu on the upper left of iTunes you should see the option add files to library or something,click on that and choose the files to put on your ipad,then when your done,click sync and boom done!

As for 60GB of data,you will need to buy the 128GB version as the 64GB will leave too little space for apps and others