Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cat Shrunk My Screen

• Please log in to reply

DJB68

DJB68

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My cat took a nap on the keyboard of my Dell Latitude laptop and somehow shunk the screen to about 2/3 normal size. I did read the prior post on this topic and tried the recommended options with the following results:

Change resolution: No impact on size of screen

Update Display Adaptor: There was no yellow triangle to select. However I clicked the button to update the adaptor and even enabled the option to go to Microsoft.com to look for updates. The reply was that there was nothing more recent than what I had installed.

I need reading glasses as it is. This tiny screen is killing me!

Thanks

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
There are usually buttons on the monitor that allow you to change the size of the viewing area to fit the screen. Although how the cat managed to operate them is beyond me !

DJB68

DJB68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm familiar with them on traditional monitors, but am at a loss as to where they are on this laptop. Looked at the user guide online and there only seems to be an option to switch to an external monitor and for brightness and contrast. So I'm lost.

BTW, the first time my cat did this, he enabled the Narrator capability, and the camputer actually started talking! Needless to say, he is now banned from the office.

Edited by DJB68, 08 June 2005 - 11:25 AM.

paulcomputerman

paulcomputerman

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
restart the computer

DJB68

DJB68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did a restrart and there was no impact on screen size. So I restarted again in safe mode, then selected System Restore and chose last night's checkpoint. Everything is back to normal now, although I still wish I know how it got changed in the first place.

Thanks for your help. This site is a godsend for those like me who know just enough to be dangerous.

DJ

CMDA

CMDA

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
In some laptops this is done pressing the "FN" key plus "F5"...

Idle-Brain

Idle-Brain

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Sounds like it is a godsend to my friend Yezpahr. One of the staff called him that too. (he has just enough knowledge to be dangerous.)

hmm, so your keyboard had a button that changes resolution.... interesting.... especially that talking-pc part. w00t! I wish my pc had that.

DJB68

DJB68

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'll try the FN+F5 key when I have more courage, since right now it's working. The intitial boot screen is still very small, then in changes to full size. So I'm operational but there's still something in the system that wants to create a small screen.

There's no key to change resolution. I had to use the normal Windows Properties/Settings activities. And I never found a key that changes that stretches the screen, although that wasn't the issue.

The "talking computer" is a funtion of the Windows Narrator. It's under Accessories/Accessibility. It will even read typed sentences.