Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEED HELP AVG

• Please log in to reply

dolface755

dolface755

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
Ok so I have a kind of strange problem I've never encountered before. Last night during a rather bad wind storm we lost power, thus cable and internet. When I woke up this morning to load up my computer, the AVG update came up and said "FAILED CONNECTION" said to try uploading the virus updates manually through the website, but when I clicked on the link for the website said "FAILED CONNECTION" and yet I can log on to any other website, facebook, etc that I want to.

Could anyone help me with this problem since I can't actually log into the AVG website, I can't even use their FAQ's or troubleshooting

Much thank
Donna

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello dolface755

Try uninstalling and then reinstalling AVG.

You will need to use the correct uninstaller tool and if you are using the paid for version of AVG if you have not done so already please make a note of your AVG licence number before uninstalling the AV software.

Let us know how it goes.

dolface755

dolface755

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
thank you for your information....I have already done the uninstall using the uninstaller from AVG...i have later found out that its just a problem related to the fact that my battery no longer holds a charge so every time I start the computer I have to go into the bios and change to the correct date and time....but thank you so much for you interest and help in this matter

now if I could only find a place that still sells obscure battery replacements all life would be joyous..LOL

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
It would appear that the CMOS battery may have expired - this is what provides the continuous power to the BIOS chip which in turn stores the boot sequence and ensures that the RTC (real time clock) is accurate, worse case scenario is that the BIOS chip itself has failed.

To check out the CMOS battery, please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, we will then see if we can locate the correct battery for you.