Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATTACHEMENTS cannot open

• Please log in to reply

jazzy56

jazzy56

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I do not know where to ask this question, please excuse me if I am in the wrong area. I have XP and I have been sent an attachment for a science fair doc. I cannot open this. It asked me to download and I sent it to desktop.when I tried to open it asked me to choose and as I have Microsoft Works Task Launcher I click on that. It said Microsoft could not open and choose another. I tried Internet Explorer annd I cannot open. It still trys to open with, but cannot open in Microsoft works task Laucher.. Please tell e how to fix this..Thanks

Edited by jazzy56, 09 October 2013 - 12:21 AM.

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
If the file has a ".doc" extension, you can use the free OpenOffice or LibreOffice suite. Both of these will open practically all of the Microsoft Office Suite files.

MiketheFarmer

MiketheFarmer

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
As you saying its a doc extension, Internet can't open it. Microsoft Works Task Launcher I should open a doc file without any issue. I fear that the file you have has gone corrupt but you can use some other Document viewer like MS Word or OpenOffice Writer to view the files. Besides, you can let me know the 'Error Message' that you are receiving while opening the doc file.

jazzy56

jazzy56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
This is what is says then word launcher opens to a blank page..

Works cannot open "C;\Docouments and settings\Mary\LocalSettings\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IES\S6JCVO82\Research Plan Template.docx".The file may be in use by another application,the file format may not be supported by any of the installed converters, or the file may be corrupt.

Thank you for all your help. I will try Open office after I hear from you..

? since I saved the Research Plan Template.docx 3 times is this why I cannot open?

Thank you

I keep trying to send you the attachment but It said I cannot send

Edited by jazzy56, 09 October 2013 - 11:01 PM.

jazzy56

jazzy56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Works cannot open "C;\Docouments and settings\Mary\LocalSettings\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IES\S6JCVO82\Research Plan Template.docx".The file may be in use by another application,the file format may not be supported by any of the installed converters, or the file may be corrupt.

? since I saved the Research Plan Template.docx 3 times is this why I cannot open?

Thank you

MiketheFarmer

MiketheFarmer

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Thank you

Greetings..
That must me IE5 instead of IES (Content.IES\S6JCVO82) :bashhead:

Anyway..

You can try this:

Open Command Prompt, then type attrib -h -s /D /S "%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*"

You would be able to see it in windows explorer...Lemme know how it went.

Else, file could be the Administrator Lock out..

You could try disconnecting your system from the network before booting..

Regards :beer:

MiketheFarmer

MiketheFarmer

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
sure..you can go for OpenOffice any time..Its light weight, reliable and of course free of cost.. :thumbsup:

jazzy56

jazzy56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I typed in the command from " RUN" is that correct?... and a box opened but nothing was there... I also tried open office and it opened up ... I really appreciate you helping me.. This will work, however I would love to know why word launcher will not work. thank you

Edited by jazzy56, 10 October 2013 - 02:12 PM.

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
"Microsoft Office Word (version 2007 and above) is the primary software program used to open DOCX files and edit DOCX files. If you have an earlier version of Microsoft Word, you can download the free Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack to open, edit, and save DOCX files in your older version of MS Word. If you don't have any version of Microsoft Office, there are several completely free word processor programs that open and edit DOCX files, including OpenOffice Writer, AbiWord, and LibreOffice Writer. While not free, Corel WordPerfect Office is another option. The now defunct Microsoft Works also opens DOCX files." Source

If you have Word (2007 Up) installed that you have always used, the .docx extension should have been associated with the program already. You could have a corrupted file or the Word program is corrupted itself. See Repair Office programs, How to reset user options and registry settings in Word and Introduction to new file-name extensions. Programs like OpenOffice can be set to always open Word files by right clicking on the file to be open, select "Open With". When the window pops up, before browsing for the OpenOffice executable file, be sure the box is checked to always use this program.

I would go directly to C;\Docouments and settings\Mary\LocalSettings\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IES\S6JCVO82\Research Plan Template.docx and copy "Research Plan Template.docx" file to the Desktop. Too easy to have that folder wiped clean. You could do a full computer search from the Start>Start Search field. Maybe a wildcard search using *.docx. You can also look for any Word backup files.Type *.wbk in the Start Search box and press Enter.

See: How to recover a lost Word document

Scroll down to "Windows Vista or Windows 7". XP if you use it.

jazzy56

jazzy56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I do not what happened but Open Office works great. I just have to get use to it and learn about some new items. I really appreciate your help and I will continue to tell people about this site. I do not know how to close so if you could or tell me how to I would be appreciative.. Thanks again. My grandson project for the Science fair can now begin thanks to both you wonderful Geeks to Go .

MiketheFarmer

MiketheFarmer

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

I do not what happened but Open Office works great. I just have to get use to it and learn about some new items. I really appreciate your help and I will continue to tell people about this site. I do not know how to close so if you could or tell me how to I would be appreciative.. Thanks again. My grandson project for the Science fair can now begin thanks to both you wonderful Geeks to Go .

Allright Jazzy 56..

Wish you good luck :thumbsup:

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Be sure to set the Options/Preferences in OpenOffice. You should be able to set where you want to store any backup files, how many copies you want backed up of each file and much more. Might use an external drive or USB flash drive for backup storage.

Relieved to know you finally got it open.

alexbownsb

alexbownsb

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello...

Did you even tried any other word processor program for opening it. I was also in the same problem and found a solution just be using another free word processor, thank to a blog writing a post about alternative to ms word which let me know about a free word processor called Abiword and so that i was able to open attachments in that i couldn't open in ms office.

Edited by alexbownsb, 10 February 2015 - 09:05 PM.