Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 reinstall

• Please log in to reply

yippie

yippie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi All,

Here is my issue.

I have a Toshiba satellite which WAS running windows 8. A couple months ago I got a bad malware. So in order to solve this issue I just reinstalled the operating system. However I did not know the windows 8 had a partition with recovery ( actually I did not know how to do a reinstall using the partition) so I put an old copy of windows 7 instead. This is ok but I have two issues for some reason the authentication code doesn't work (yes it is original) and the second reason is I can't seem to download any of the right drivers for example ATI card, wireless, Fn buttons etc (plus a tonne more).

So my question is how do I reinstall and get the WIN 8 operating system back again? can I do this from the partition? and how do I access the reinstallation menu's?

If it helps there is also an old folder called "windows.old"

thanks for your assistance,

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What is the make and model number (complete please) of your computer?

Post a snapshot of a fullscreen Disk Management:
To open Disk Management, press Windows key+r, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter or click GO. Make it full screen.

How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums (says it's for Vista but also works with Win 7/8).

Use the Browse and Attach This File buttons below the text input area while using the Full editor to upload and insert here.

yippie

yippie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ztruker,

Thanks for the fast reply.

The make and model is Toshiba satellite pro C850
and attached is the screen capture

thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Complete model number please, like C850-BT2N11. Recovery is probably the same for all models.

I looked at the User's Guide for Satellite C800/L800/S800 Series - Windows 8. Recovery starts on page 54. That should get you going.

yippie

yippie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Toshiba satellite pro C850 part# PSCBZA-003005 serial # YC176403R

That's all I could find so I hope this is sufficient!

Thanks again

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Download the Users Guide from the link I gave you, go to page 54 and start reading. It tells you how to recover your PC to factory state saving your data or not saving your data.

I would strongly urge you to backup anything you don't want to lose, just in case something goes wrong.

yippie

yippie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have read through this manual for recovery. However, my current OS is WIN7. I wish to get back the original OS which is WIN8 and I believe it is on the recovery partition.
How would I initiate a recovery to wipe WIN7 and get back my original WIN8? what procedure to follow etc and will there be an option down the road to use the recovery partition as I don't have any media discs other than WIN7.

thanks again

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Just follow the directions in the Users Guide. Since it came with Win 8, Win 8 is what will be restored.