Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corporate checking employee internet activity off VPN

• Please log in to reply

mothman84

mothman84

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone,

I have a question

I have heard today, that some corporates know what were their employees doing on the internet, even if they are not connected to the corporate VPN, once the employee connects to the corporate VPN

The question is, how could this be possible? What are the possible ways to do that

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
yes they can see as long as your on their network, and no we cant tell you how. Any other questions should be asked of you IT department. :thumbsup:

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I will add to this. If a company has provided an employee with a laptop for business use, that laptop is a corporate resource. That means it's subject to all the rules governing the use of corporate IT equipment, even when it's not in the office. Companies usually outline these rules in the employee handbook or other documentation provided to the employee when they're hired. These rules usually also cover what resources can be used, what sites can be accessed, what programs can be installed, etc. No one should ever assume that they can use a company-provided computer for any activity and have their employer know what they've done; that is also usually specified when they're hired.

mothman84

mothman84

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello admin n mod

I understand what you are saying and that is all excepted, but I would still like to know how

If I am out of VPN and deleted all the logs of history and temporarily files from the software and the registry, how would the IT be able to know still

mothman84

mothman84

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello again BHowett and Sari,

I have asked you the above question as I was interested to know how

Unfortunately, I am not here to know how corporates are working and if I wanted to ask the IT department I would have done so a long time ago

That does not mean the I am putting less value to what you are saying, but the fact is that I am coming from an IT back ground myself, but I do not work for the IT department and I could have asked the IT department if I wanted but that would make both my mac and ip addresses suspects of something that I have never done

That's why I thought I would have some 3rd party thoughts on the matter

Would you still like to share your thoughts on that subject??

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Hi mothman84,

According to our Terms Of Use , and I think that fits here.We cannot help you get around any administrative restrictions imposed on a school, work or other network not owned and operated by yourself. These restrictions can include (but are not limited to): website blocking/filtering, software installation, email retention, software configuration, network/internet usage, network configuration, forum or chat room restrictions, game server restrictions, or any other actions that are deemed "unauthorized" by the owners/administrators of the network in question.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Here, I will give you an answer that doesn't just point to the Geeks To Go Terms of Use (TOU).  
If you were to research RAT's or Remote Access Tools (sometimes referred to as Remote Administration Tools) you would find out that there are many items out there that allow full control of a system, as if you were not at it. LogMeIn allows many of these features in its Pro version, though limited more to IT professional type of items and is clearly shown/visible. So now let's think about another aspect of this, logging of events on a system. Many items you do are logged on your system, which you stated you clear out (which to be honest is debatable, as many people say that but I've always been able to pull up items relatively easily). Example of some logging beyond your local items would be like Google products, in which I can go visit my account history and see a HUGE list of searches/sites/etc I've browsed... Even on a new machine that has never even been on Google.com. How? Well think of it this way, you have external devices like servers, which also log everything. Now the retention policy (the settings revolving around how and what to log and keep for however long) change drastically per item but the jist of it is this . . . YOU ARE BEING LOGGED.

Now lets go one step further! If a VPN is hosted off a network device of any sort, it likely has a - you guessed it - a log. Now this connection may also have scripts or other items involved, including but not limited to firewalls, antiviruses, etc that are on the network you VPN into. For instance, one of my customers VPN's into a network and then is able to print to the machines at the office and the server handling the antivirus updates, windows updates, etc also sets the machine up for those each time it connects (set to automatically connect a few times a day as well). That's just one example. Now this user is having their system scanned, accessed, and reviewed for the missing updates for the AV and Windows. This same concept can apply to many areas in IT.

Now I didn't really directly answer YOUR question, nor give any very similar examples but you should get the jist of it. Also, bypassing these types of things stick out more than you know. Also attempts to bypass items stick out badly too... I even have keywords setup to alert me if someone is poking around in ways to get around my securities or be 'off the record'.

Hope this answer helps, while still keeping my good graces with the administration and moderation members of the forums. I believe it should, as nothing I said was about 'getting around' or into too much details as to give away exactly how it works (thus leading to a way around). All the while it should still be a good read and give a jist of the 'big picture'. If it was over the line, please just feel free to remove it and what ever else needs to be done.