Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error message!

• Please log in to reply

sharon121

sharon121

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi every time i try to go on windows update it tells me :

Depending on your connection speed, this might take a minute. During this time, you may receive one or more security warnings. Review each security warning to ensure that the content is signed by Microsoft, and then click Install or Yes to install the software.

i guess this is normal :tazz: but the problem is i dont get a yes or install message i get:

your current security settings prohibit running active x controls on this page as a result this page may not display correctly
i press ok and get this a couple of minutes later:
[Error number: 0x8DDD0004]
Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. Try refreshing the page, clearing your Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files, closing and restarting Internet Explorer, or trying Windows Update again later.
this happens again and again even though i try the things they suggest!
plzzzz helppp thankyou ;)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here, as the page is loading, right under the address bar you should get an Install Request, click this then click install

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

If it does not install and run you can look here

There is for Windows Update troubleshooter

http://v4.windowsupd...m/troubleshoot/

This is for XP

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;319585

sharon121

sharon121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i tried all these but for the first one the information bar wouldnt display and as i tried the troubleshoot it didnt find anything.
thn i tries the windows update bt that didnt help either and the xp one . i tried doin all that deleting internet files etc. when i tries to searcgh on my computer it said a file that is required to run search compainoncannot be found. you may need to run setup?? :tazz: so i left thta 1 bt tried all the rest please help thx

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
1. Log on to the computer by using an account with administrator permissions.

2. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%\inf, and then click OK.

3. Locate the Srchasst.inf file.

4. Right-click the Srchasst.inf file, and then click Install.

This reinstalls the files that Search Companion uses.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I've reinstalled win98 on several older machines and gotten this error several times. When I get it I now know to install the latest version of IE, ie6sp1, first, then if I can't access the site I download the Sun JRE (Java Runtime Environment )and the Microsoft 9.0 ActiveX RE. I even keep the Install.exe for IE on a floppy so I don't have to directly access the site. So far this has always worked. :tazz:

sharon121

sharon121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi thx for the suggestions . i tried to install the search assistant again like you said but it said the file msgr3en.dll on windowws xp home edition cd-rom is needed. type the file path...theres already a file path thre so i click ok and nothing happens..so i pressed cancel and it still comes up with the same error message.
also i installes sun JRE but from nowhere can i find Microsoft 9.0 ActiveX RE :tazz: even the microsoft website itself ... plz help...again

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Microsoft have Direct X 9.0c here

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

If you have the XP CD, click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter to replace the system files

sharon121

sharon121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi i went to that active x control now thx and started downloadin it thn when i was installin it it came up sayin
a cabinet file nessecary for installation cannot be trusted ;)
and for the search assistant- i havent got the windows xp disk! :tazz: