Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont start.

• Please log in to reply

techgeniuswong

techgeniuswong

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I either shut my computer off, or it crashed while it was running. I cant remember. When I went to turn it back on, the fans starting spinning and it beeped 3 times about 1 second apart. There is no video output or bios screen.

So far I have tried:
Taken out my video card and putting it back in.
Taken out my processor, reapplying thermal paste and putting it back in.
Taken out my ram and put in 1 at a time, to test the ram , mobo slots.
Made sure my ram was seated.
Used a different hard drive.

I am starting to think my motherboard just "went". Nothing else makes sense I don't see how 2 sticks of ram would go bad at once.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday techgeniuswong, Posted Image
With the PSU switched off, have you tried Clear CMOS, using the onboard jumper? then restart and try to enter BIOS.

techgeniuswong

techgeniuswong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Gday techgeniuswong, Posted Image
With the PSU switched off, have you tried Clear CMOS, using the onboard jumper? then restart and try to enter BIOS.

I did this with no change..

Edited by techgeniuswong, 11 October 2013 - 02:04 PM.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Find out what makes your motherboard and Google beep codes for said board. That might help.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Please list your full system specs. If a Dell/HP type, the model and series, i.e. Dimensions 4500C. If a custom build, the brand and model of the PSU.

techgeniuswong

techgeniuswong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you all for the suggestions. I ultimately got fed up and took my PC to a repair shop for a diagnosis. It was the video card. I would not have even thought of checking this. My video card is only 2-3 years old. It was a bfg 9800gt 1gb that I got to replace my 8800gt that died on me. Now I am looking for the 3rd video card in this PC!!! They charged me $45 for diagnose it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Gday.
Please list your full system specs. If a Dell/HP type, the model and series, i.e. Dimensions 4500C. If a custom build, the brand and model of the PSU.

Please provide the information requested by iammykyl, this will allow us to help with add on video card suggestions and may also identify a possible explanation as to why two video cards have failed.

techgeniuswong

techgeniuswong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Built it myself,

antec 500watt psu earthwatts model ea-500, e8400 processor, aftermarket heatsink, 2x4gb ram, and a WD 7200rpm hd. Gigabyte ga-ep35-ds3l mobo. I recently added a 120mm fan into my case before the 9800gt went bad.

keep in mind it is 4-5 years old, so I think i just had bad luck with video cards.

Right now i am looking at:

-Sapphire AMD RADEON HD 7750 OC, (1 GB)
-EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1GB
-XFX NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1gb
-PNY XLR8 Geforce GTX260 GTX 260 896MB
-Asus EAH6850 Radeon HD 6850 1GB
-ATI RADEON HD 5770 1Gb
-ATI Radeon HD3870
and a couple of 8880gts, this is just what is available used right now.

I plan on building a new PC in a couple of weeks/months and selling this one.

Edited by techgeniuswong, 13 October 2013 - 12:07 PM.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
The first three on your list is good stuff. I don't know about the rest. I have a Sapphire 6670 in my PC right now. Works fine.

By the way, that's unusual for two video card failures. Let's hope it's the video cards and just dumb luck they failed.

Edited by Brazened, 13 October 2013 - 12:19 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Thanks for the update techgeniuswong :thumbsup:

The PSU was my main concern but Antec is one of the better brands so is less likely to cause you issues.

What type of case do you have full or mid sized tower.

Not a bad card the HD 6850

Advertisements

techgeniuswong

techgeniuswong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
mid tower. Also, my 9800gt was filled with dust.

Now I found a nice XFX AMD Radeon HD 6850 1gb, i think I am going to try and get that.

Edited by techgeniuswong, 13 October 2013 - 12:22 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
If the card was filled with dust it most likely failed due to overheating over a period of time.

I am aware that you intend building a new computer so keep in mind that where possible for the best cooling you should have an induction fan at the front of the case to draw in cool clean air + a rear exhaust fan to expel the hot air from inside the case efficiently.

techgeniuswong

techgeniuswong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
just bought the XFX HD 6850 1gb for $75 shipped. :cool:

cheers all

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Not the fastest of cards but the 256-bit will give you good video quality when gaming :)

You are welcome BTW and let us know how it goes with the new card :thumbsup:

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
You're pretty good at selecting your components. :)

I looked up your PSU and it's made by Seasonic which I found to be the best (along with Super Flower) and I like Gigabyte mobos. I have a Seasonic PSU and a Gigabyte mobo myself. What make is your memory? Mine's Corsair Vengeance. I just upgraded from an i3-2105 to an i5-3570.