Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows98SE

• Please log in to reply

chickman

chickman

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When a virus-cleaning program was installed, some Windows files were deleted by mistake--apparently important ones. Now it won't do a lot of things, and tech support says there is no way to fix it. Need to get a disk & reinstall. Have ordered disk, but have no clue what to do with it. Will it tell me in plain language what to do? Technically "challenged" is an understatement for me. :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you get the disc, you may be able to replace the files with system file checker

You can boot the PC then keep tapping the F8 key right after the beep until you get the options screen, select command prompt only, type scanreg.exe /fix then press enter. When this has run and shows it has repaired the registry, press enter then press the ctrl + alt + delete keys together to reboot.

This may improve things but being able to replace the files will be better.

If you can save things you need to keep on disc, then you can load these back on if you need to re-install

chickman

chickman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks. I have tried Windows-Dummies, and Windows-Idiots, but haven't made it to that level yet. Maybe someday someone will write Windows-Morons. Meanwhile, I have no clue how to save files to disc. How do you pick them & then get them to go on a disk. (sorry--REALLY challenged)

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
what do you want to keep on your computer? and do you have a cd burner?

chickman

chickman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I'm not sure. Guess it would be simpler to write email addresses, web addresses, etc. Probably nothing important enough, other than those. I don't think I have a CD burner. Have a CD player, and a square disk thingy. (Okay--I'm old)

bobthemailman

bobthemailman

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Seeing how you are technically challenged do you have another computer that i or some on else can guide you through the installation of windows :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You are going to need the CD and should run the registry repair

chickman

chickman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No, only 1 computer. Thanks for your help. Will wait till the disk comes & see how it goes.