Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Running Win7 Can't Recognize Ethernet Connected Mac

• Please log in to reply

deekaye

deekaye

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I hope someone who knows something about Windows PCs can help. I am a longtime Mac user and not expert on all the various things a PC requires.

I have a PC at work - a 2012 Dell XPS 8300 running Windows 7, and it appears to have one ethernet slot in the back of the hard drive, which I have connected to the ethernet port in the new Mac.

I need to migrate the Outlook mail folders, calendar and contacts stuff to a new Mac, which comes with a migration assistant, which recognizes computers connected to it for this type of transfer. (I have already downloaded and installed the Windows Migration Assistant that Apple offers to do this).

However the computers do not recognize that there is anything connected.

I have followed ALL the directions repeatedly and have done this easily before Mac to Mac, but never PC to Mac, which this is made to do. I have called Apple Care twice who say it has to be settings in the PC that are preventing the recognition such as Virus, firewalls, etc.

All virus and security settings that I can find have been disabled (this took me hours to find!)

If you go to the Windows Control Panel and look at Security, my current settings are:

Control Panel>System and Security>Review Action Center>Security:

Everything is disabled, I uninstalled Norton, there is No Spyware, Windows Defender is Off, No Virus Protection detected, Windows Update is off, Network firewall is off, Spyware is off, User Account Control is off, Network Access Protection is off –

The ONLY thing I cannot seem to make go away is “Internet Security Settings are at their recommended levels.” I have no ieda how to make that go away. I have tried disabling it in IE and it only let's you go from High to Medium.

Can someone please tell me how to get rid of any and all security that can be blocking my being able to connect these 2 computers so they can recognize each other?

Is there anything else I’m missing? Is there something else in a PC that would make the ethernet cable linked to another computer not "see" it?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give. Any help is truly appreciated with much gratitude.

Thanks!!!!!!

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

I have a PC at work - a 2012 Dell XPS 8300 running Windows 7, and it appears to have one ethernet slot in the back of the hard drive, which I have connected to the ethernet port in the new Mac.

Well let's start by clarifying that 'hard drive' is just a part inside your case, what you're referring to is the 'tower'. This may help when explaining to anyone in the future. Now you are going from ethernet to ethernet ports in the back of the PC's? Is this with the old ethernet cable or a new one the migration item came with?

I need to migrate the Outlook mail folders, calendar and contacts stuff to a new Mac, which comes with a migration assistant, which recognizes computers connected to it for this type of transfer. (I have already downloaded and installed the Windows Migration Assistant that Apple offers to do this).
However the computers do not recognize that there is anything connected.

Now have you installed the migration assistant on both the Mac and the Windows PC?

I have followed ALL the directions repeatedly and have done this easily before Mac to Mac, but never PC to Mac, which this is made to do. I have called Apple Care twice who say it has to be settings in the PC that are preventing the recognition such as Virus, firewalls, etc.
All virus and security settings that I can find have been disabled (this took me hours to find!)
If you go to the Windows Control Panel and look at Security, my current settings are:
Control Panel>System and Security>Review Action Center>Security:
Everything is disabled, I uninstalled Norton, there is No Spyware, Windows Defender is Off, No Virus Protection detected, Windows Update is off, Network firewall is off, Spyware is off, User Account Control is off, Network Access Protection is off –
The ONLY thing I cannot seem to make go away is “Internet Security Settings are at their recommended levels.” I have no ieda how to make that go away. I have tried disabling it in IE and it only let's you go from High to Medium.
Can someone please tell me how to get rid of any and all security that can be blocking my being able to connect these 2 computers so they can recognize each other?
Is there anything else I’m missing? Is there something else in a PC that would make the ethernet cable linked to another computer not "see" it?
Many thanks in advance for any help you can give. Any help is truly appreciated with much gratitude.
Thanks!!!!!!

Most likely your issue isn't security related as much, though you may have some luck if you boot up into Safe Mode with Networking. This may help limit it out a bit more, by stopping services and applications from even launching. I'm not 100% sure if the assistant works in this mode, but it's certainly worth looking into.

If the above method fails, try looking over this guide I had just recently given to a family friend recently, in which she was able to follow and get it all to work: HERE.

deekaye

deekaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for trying to help PhrantiQ.

To your first point, I'm using a new Cat6 ethernet cable. There is no Migration product that is physical. Leading to the second point, Migration Assistant is part of Mac OS, and then you down load the Windows Migration Assistant on a PC for free. Yes I have them both.

I have migrated from systems before but never from a PC - and the Apple people insist (which makes sense) that the only hang up can be that the PC has so many extensive security blocks, that it can keep the computers from recognizing each other.

The link you are providing from Radio Shack is basically the directions on using Migration Assistant from the Apple site. This is exactly what I'm trying to do. The difference is that I am doing it from initial start-up on a new Mac, which has not been configured yet. This is the intention of Migration Assistant. You launch on start-up and it immediately asks you if you want to setup from another Mac or PC or just create a new fresh system.

The directions from Radio Shack are presuming someone is trying to migrate into an existing Mac system already set up. The only difference is that when you set up a Mac the first time, you create a User ID & password and cannot migrate into that. When you migrate into a Mac already set up it creates a brand new User which needs a new unique ID.

But the experience is the same. I cannot get to "Step 4" as until the 2 computers "see" each other there is no passcode.

I was hoping someone here on the PC side could tell me what else could possibly be in the PC that is "Security" that is blocking this.

You mention something called "Safe Mode with Networking" - what is that? Can you explain where and/or how I do that? That may do the trick!

Many thanks!!!

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Guide to booting in Safe Mode: Start your computer in safe mode

Follow that and boot into the option Safe Mode with Networking. Then see if you're able to migrate.

deekaye

deekaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks so much PhrantiQ - I will try this week (after everyone leaves the office) - and let you know if it works! :thumbsup: