Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard RAM Slots

• Please log in to reply

dcez6c

dcez6c

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

I have had a stable system for about 2 years now with no recent hardware changes(updated hard drive about a year ago). Over the past few days i have been running in to system stability issues; bluescreen, unexpected shutdowns, and startup failures. I believe i have narrowed the problem down to my Motherboard, and would like to know if there is a fix. I will post a few event IDs below.

I am currently able to run stable (so far) with 1 RAM stick in slot 4 of my motherboard (see system info below). I have ran memtest on both sticks and have shown no problems with either RAM stick. I am unable to startup the computer with either stick in any of the other 3 slots. In any other configuration other than 1 stick of ram in slot 4, I get a blank screen with a blinking white bar in the top left before the startup sequence initiates.

I have updated the motherboard Chipset to the latest version from ASUS's support website.

It seems to me that i have 3 bad slots in my motherboard.

Do you agree with the diagnosis?

Is there something else that could be making the motherboard slots fail? BIOS?

Is the only fix to get a new motherboard?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

System Information:
Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A79XTD EVO Rev X.0X
Processor: 3.40 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X4 965
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series [Display adapter] (2x) AMD Crossfire config
Memory: 8 GB (2 x 4GB) Corsair Vengeance 240-pin ddr3 sdram
Slot 'DIMM0' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM1' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM2' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM3' has 4096 MB (serial number SerNum03)

Event 1:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 0000000000000000
BCP2: FFFFFA80045AF028
BCP3: 00000000B202A000
BCP4: 0000000000000175
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Event 2
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
101213-12121-01.dmp
sysdata.xml

View a temporary copy of these files
Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF8000316CC36
BCP3: FFFFF88002192B40
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Advertisements

dcez6c

dcez6c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have had 2 bluescreens with said configuration ( 1 ram stick in slot 4 of mobo)

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 10/12/2013 10:20:16 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DAVE-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-10-13T03:20:16.910012900Z" />
<EventRecordID>48494</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DAVE-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">254</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x6</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0xfffffa80065e0860</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x50456368</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 10/12/2013 10:27:46 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DAVE-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.micro.../events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-10-13T03:27:46.364011900Z" />
<EventRecordID>48607</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DAVE-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Which memory slots did you use when it was good? Did you use slot 0/slot 2 or slot 1/slot 3 together? It is unusual for three slots to go bad. That would be a pretty good indication that the mobo is going bad but I'd check that the memory modules were compatible with the mobo in the first place.

Also can you get another module or two from a friend as a process of elimination?

What is your mobo and the modules?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts
Hello dcez6c

Have you tried restoring the MBs default settings in the BIOS.
Has the system ever been overclocked (or any attempt at O/Cing been made).
Your PSU could be the cause of the issue so can you post the brand and model name or number of the power supply with your next reply.

Your MB has two black memory slots which are identified as A1 and B1 + two blue slots which are identified as B1 and B2, for the most stable performance when using two sticks of Ram you should use the blue slot B1 and B2 to enable dual channel mode, if you only have one stick of Ram then it will function in any of the four slots but only in single channel mode.

dcez6c

dcez6c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you for the replies!

I tried setting BIOS to default, as well as updating BIOS.

I overclock both of my graphics cards slightly (15%) using CCC, but its been this way for over a year. No CPU overclocking. ( PSU below)

My initial RAM configuration was A1 and B1 (slots 1 and 3), only changed recently due to above issues.

My computer crashing frequency increased throughout the night last night, until at one point i couldn't even run startup repair without bluescreen. I thought it might be due to temperature problems, but all tower fans and component fans are working. I checked temperatures at one point last night ( CPU = 42 C , Graphics cards = 35 C).

I gave up and did a fresh windows install. Everything seems to be working fine, so maybe the issue was a bad driver or a virus? Anyway, I plan on leaving this thread open a day or 2 to make sure the problem doesn't return.

Thanks again!
Dave

PSU:
CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible with New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

Tower:
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts
Thanks for the update which has hopefully led to the issue being resolved dcez6c :thumbsup:

We will be here should you need to return.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Sometimes we have to do a fresh install of the OS. I've been there (how many times?).

Shatarupa1

Shatarupa1

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I can suggest about Biostar Motherboards.Aru you okay with it?

dcez6c

dcez6c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
A fresh windows install initially seemed to correct the problem. However, the problem is now reoccurring. Last week I received a bluescreen or 2 the day before i went on vacation. I just returned, and the computer will not start at all. The lights, fans, etc are on, but the system wont go through startup. While troubleshooting this initially, i was able to get the computer to start up again after removing 1 of the memory sticks (see above).

Since this is reoccurring after a fresh install, it should narrow the problem down to a hardware issue.

Any guidance on where to go next?

Edited by dcez6c, 28 October 2013 - 02:07 PM.

Sub

Sub

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
You need a new processor.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts

A fresh windows install initially seemed to correct the problem. However, the problem is now reoccurring. Last week I received a bluescreen or 2 the day before i went on vacation. I just returned, and the computer will not start at all. The lights, fans, etc are on, but the system wont go through startup. While troubleshooting this initially, i was able to get the computer to start up again after removing 1 of the memory sticks (see above).

Since this is reoccurring after a fresh install, it should narrow the problem down to a hardware issue.

Any guidance on where to go next?

Are you using the blue slots B1 and B2 as I suggested in my reply #4.

Have you backed up all important data on the HDD.

What type of Windows 7 disk do you have as in is it a full retail, OEM, downloaded ISO, a burned copy or a back up disk that you created yourself.

dcez6c

dcez6c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am using the blue slots as you suggested ( B1 and B2).

I currently use 2 hard drives.

120gb Solid state drive: only used for operating system and a few programs (microsoft office, microsoft security essentials, AIM, skype, and a few others)
1tb HDD used for storing video games mainly as well as some important documents

I have a full retail digital download version of windows 7 in which i made a burnt copy myself.

For the windows 7 install; I reformatted the SSD completely, and then installed windows 7 fresh. I did not reformat the secondary HDD.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,764 posts
Check your power settings, some info Here

I have a full retail digital download version of windows 7 in which i made a burnt copy myself.

Has the OS ever been installed from this disk and worked with no problems, this to see if it is a bad burn.

dcez6c

dcez6c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yes. The solid state drive is a new addition as of about a year ago. It was a fresh install from the same disk, and has worked fine until recently. The disk has been well maintained with no visible scratches. I suppose it could be damaged though.

dcez6c

dcez6c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am going to try to start up my friend's comp with my solid state drive. I will do that later tonight. I am not sure if any other of her pc components are compatible for trial and error troubleshooting.