Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bsod on newly build machine

• Please log in to reply

chickmazta

chickmazta

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Guys I really need your help on this one. I've recently build a basic computer for low level gaming. The problem is it keeps crashing on certain games that uses internet connection (really not sure). For example Heroes of Newerth, League of Legends and Defense of the Ancients 2 (*aka DOTA2). Currently installed driver version is Catalyst 13.9 downloaded directly from AMD website. No old drivers installed as I have this driver to be installed first. I don't think this is a heat issue as all the monitoring software shows 58c on load. Ran furmark gpu only reaches 70c on full load. Memory have been tested so many times with different programs yet passed. Hard drive passess on Hdd Sentinel and HD tune pro. I also don't think that its a power supply problem either because the store already replaced the power supply with a new one and yet still the same problem. All I can think of is driver isssue, but I have installed the latest stable version 13.9 I've seen a beta release just now should I try that one?

Here's the spec:

Processor: AMD FX-6300 3.50Ghz
Motherboard: MSI 880GMS-E41 FX
Memory: Kingston HyperX 2x4GB DDR3
Hard Drive: Seagate 500GB
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 OC
PowerSupply: Coolermaster GX II 650w
Case: Thermaltake Versa G1

Another thing, I can play Prototype 2, Assassins Creed 3 and Devil May Cry 5 with no problems. No bsod, no freeze. no restart, no hangups. Thats why I need your help as I am out of solution. No overclocks done on this machine.

Event viewer shows this one: "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered."
Already tried the regedit regarding TDR same result.

And also the bluescreen I have refers to 0x116

Hope someone helps. Thanks very much

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Thanks for the reply. I downloaded bluescreenview but nothing shows on the list. Its blank. I'm sure that the computer bsod on me and I manage to take a look at the code error 0x00000116. I think this involves ATIKMPAG.SYS. I will try to make the machine BSOD again and see if it holds some memory dump.

A quick question. Is there any possibility that all monitoring software might be displaying the wrong readings regarding the temperature and voltage? I used a digital volt meter on the power supply but the results are ok. The reason why I ask because. On this programs I read the cpu temp idles at 28c, but when I immediately restart the computer and went to bios is shows 48c. I already flashed the bios to the latest version. I also downloaded catalyst 13.4 just in case but I'm not installing it to isolate and take steps. thanks very much again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is always possible the readings could be wrong and that is why I use two different programs to check and verify the readings and they both were the same. As for BlueScreenView not showing anything that is strange for sure. Lets try another program to see what happens.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Good day. Just installed whocrashed 4.02, ran it and this is what the report says:

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 10/13/2013 2:13:06 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\101313-22417-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown ()
Bugcheck code: 0x0 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: CUSTOM_ERROR

I don't see any detail regarding the crash, that's odd. I followed the instructions to detail. One thing, it didn't ask something about downloading debugger. Am I doing something wrong? thanks again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it seems to be a driver most likely video but lets see what this next program finds. Please do not do anything except send the requested screenshots so I can make sure what the next step or steps will be.

Download DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated. I have been using it for about 4 months now and like it better then any other utility out there for keeping my drivers up to date.
If you want you can post screenshots of all the drivers in the list that need to be updated and I will suggest in what order to get them.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I maybe doing this wrong but drivermax downloaded its program on my machine and installed it. I run the "scan for updates now" and this is the result.

Posted Image

Before I reply to this post. I decided to play HON to try and have it blue screen on me. I have played for 2 hours and have not yet encountered any bluescreens. I was so eager to have one so I could post a screenshot here. I haven't done any changes to anything on this machine since it bluescreen on me. Strange..

Edited by chickmazta, 14 October 2013 - 01:16 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So the screenshot is not from the system that is having the issue?

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
The screenshot I posted is from the computer that is having the problem. It says on the screen shot 13.2 for the graphics driver version but I installed 13.9. Windows was fresh installed 2 times. First install I used the stock driver from the cd that came with the video card same problem. Windows was installed second time (currently in use) I used driver version 13.9, still same problem.

An update, yesterday and until this morning, experience 4 hang ups. No BSOD it just froze on me. Games played during freeze are HON and DOTA 2. I will try to get some dumps if I got one. Thanks again for your help.

Edited by chickmazta, 15 October 2013 - 09:00 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah the dump files will help a lot in this case.

Advertisements

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Good day. I experience 2 hang ups this morning around 7am. I was so frustrated because I'm sure that none of the components are defective and yet I can't really point out the problem.

At around 8am a friend drop by and got unto my machine. I reminded him that the machine had a lot of lock ups during a game and it was not stable. I was trying to drove him away so that he can't compromised what we have started. But he kept using it, I really can't tell what he was doing because I was eating my breakfast at the other room. As I finished my meal he joined me at the dining and said "Problems fixed!" I don't know what he meant but I said "what problem? you don't know nothing about computers all you do is click click click" He just laughed then he told me he need to leave for some errand.

As of now I haven't got any freezing or lock ups. The last time it froze on me was 7am and thats it. I remember that my friend used the computer.And now I was texting him asking about what he did to my pc and he sarcastically replied "All I did was click click and click" with a smiley face on it. I will test this machine until tomorrow and see if it will be stable. I already had 9 set of game with no problems. Thanks and have a nice day!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK well good that it is working but obviously we would like to know what he did because it may help others in the future. Whatever it was it had to be software related since it doesn't appear he actually worked on anything hardware wise.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hi, its been 13 hours and haven't experience any problems on the machine. I've set the game "Heroes of Newerth" on ultra settings and its been running for hours. I also tried different games and still nothing happens. My friend already told me what he did. He poked around settings for the AMD Overdrive and he disabled it. He also disabled hardware acceleration on adobe flash player for both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome browser.

For AMD Overdrive I found the settings on the Catalyst Manager on the lower right or the system tray icon. My friend told me that It was enabled at default causing the graphics card to burst (I really don't know what he meant) And he also he added that my graphics card is the Overclocked edition which conflicts with Overdrive.

I then visited a client with almost the same specs except for the processor which he had fx-6100 instead. I then looked at the Catalyst Manager and saw that AMD Overdrive was also disabled. That's why he never had problems. The machine was built 5 weeks ago by me also.

Sir rshaffer61, can you clarify something regarding this Overdrive stuff. I'm really not familiar with it. But I'll research about it. Thanks again very much.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Overdrive in simple terms means that that card was over clocked. It was being run at a faster speed then normal which conflicted with the other program. Once everything was set to run normally then the timing issue that was apparently causing the BSOD's was resolved. Your friend did a excellent job correcting that and I applaud his resolution. :thumbsup:
If you are comfortable that everything is working to your satisfaction then we can mark this as resolved. If you have more questions I will be happy to answer or point you in the right direction for the answers.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
You mean sir that when I installed the latest driver from AMD, overdrive was already enabled? If the graphics card says its an overclocked version meaning the speed was set at a higher frequency right (factory overclocked)? if so the card must be overclocked twice correct me if I'm wrong. The card would have been damaged for continued use not knowing it was overclocked. Which would be the one that causing the hang ups the graphics card or the power supply? Sorry for too many questions just curious who would be liable if the card got damaged. thanks very much