Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing Laptop has stumped local repair techs.

• Please log in to reply

divetheplanet

divetheplanet

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a 2007 Toshiba Satellite laptop. Motherboard was replaced in 2008 at Toshiba authorized outlet in the Philippines. Recently the laptop started freezing/ locking up. It works fine in safe networking mode. I assumed the hard drive was getting old or a virus. I bought a new hard drive and it locks up when trying to install windows 8. The laptop was taken apart and cleaned. There is no obvious sign of a short. RAM has been replaced but offered no improvement. I live in a humid tropical climate, but the laptop is kept in an aircon room. Any ideas on how to fix. I am hesitant to flush the bios. If it locks up, I end up with a really big paperweight.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
:welcome: divetheplanet

Please provide the model name or number of the Toshiba notebook.

Did you run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant before attempting to install it.

From where was the Windows 8 OS obtained as in is it a full retail disk, an OEM disk, a downloaded copy burned to disk or stored on a USB thumb drive etc.

divetheplanet

divetheplanet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A205 model no PSAF0U-02D009. It is a brand new out of the box hard drive, we attempted to install windows 8 via thumb drive. Te problem occurs with three different hard drives. One is 100 gb with window xp installed, one is 300 gb with windows 7 installed and the new 500 gb with no OS.

Thank you for helping!

Patrick

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
It sounds like the problem could be in the BIOS. Working fine in safe networking mode suggests that. You probably have something in the BIOS enabled/disabled and the driver/device not found caused the lockup.

This is my best guess.

Edited by Brazened, 14 October 2013 - 08:24 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Did you run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant before attempting to install it.

From where was the Windows 8 OS obtained

Can you also answer the above please.

A guide to help with installing Windows 8 from a USB thumb drive is available Here it refers to the Windows download tool amongst other things.