Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Ultimate (Originally Vista) Factory Reset.

• Please log in to reply

AntonyLamberton

AntonyLamberton

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

I was given a laptop by a friend and i want to reset it back to factory settings.

This laptop is a HP pavillion and was originally windows vista as it says on one of the start up screens.
its now Windows 7 ultimate.

I have been having a few problems with it so just to sort everything out i just want to start again.

If i go through the "Recovery" option through the start menu it asks me for the windows disk (Which i dont have)

and holding f11 whilst it boots gives a beeping sound then just boots as normal.

Is there anyway i can reset my laptop without a disk? besides the methods i've tried?

Edited by AntonyLamberton, 13 October 2013 - 09:46 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: AntonyLamberton

This laptop is a HP pavillion and was originally windows vista as it says on one of the start up screens.
its now Windows 7 ultimate.

Is this a dual boot set up.

Do you want to use Vista or Windows 7.

Do you have the Microsoft product key for the Vista and/or Windows 7 installation (whichever OS you wish to install).

AntonyLamberton

AntonyLamberton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have no idea about the dual boot.

I don't mind which i get really.

and i have no product key of any sort.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I have no idea about the dual boot.

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take an expanded screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

I don't mind which i get really.

Windows 7 would be best but we must first determine if you have a product key for it that is not in use on another computer (your friend may have reused it on another computer since passing the present computer onto you).

and i have no product key of any sort.

If the computer originally had Vista on it there may be a product code sticker on the base of the notebook, they are sometimes found in the battery housing so if there is not one on the base remove the battery and check there.

The Windows 7 product key we will come back to when we have the screenshot of the HDD Manager.

AntonyLamberton

AntonyLamberton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you,

The laptop won't connect to the internet so i had to take a photo of the screen.

20131020_115100.jpg

as for the product keys, there doesn't seem to be anything there, only the laptop make and model sticker.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
The update/screenshot shows that your options are limited unless you can connect to the internet in order to acquire the Windows 7 product key, this because the screenshot shows that there is no recovery/system restore partition so you could not even if you wanted to go back to the factory settings for the notebook without the original or replacement HP Vista installation disk/s and product key.

Can I ask why you cannot connect to the internet.

AntonyLamberton

AntonyLamberton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm not sure why, it doesn't bring up the wireless connections or even know there's an ethernet cable connected.

Am i better off buying a new windows disk?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If the computer still boots, create and run the following VB script to get the current install key to use to reinstall Windows 7.

Open Notepad. Then copy all the data in the Code box below and paste it into Notepad.

Click File / Save as and save it as "ShowKey.vbs" on the Desktop. Include the double quotes or Notepad will add .txt to the end of the name.

Right click on ShowKey.vbs on the Desktop and select Run as Administrator.

Output is in a window on the Desktop. Click Yes to save it to Windows Key.txt in the same folder Showkeys.vbs is in which in this case should be your Desktop. It would be a good idea to print that file or save it somewhere so when you need it, it's available.

Set WshShell=CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Key=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\"
DigitalID=WshShell.RegRead(key & "DigitalProductId")

ProductName=Product Name: " & WshShell.RegRead(Key & "ProductName") & vbNewLine
ProductID=Product ID: " & WshShell.RegRead(Key & "ProductID") & vbNewLine
ProductKey=Installed Key: " & ConvertToKey(DigitalID)
ProductID=ProductName & ProductID & ProductKey

If vbYes=MsgBox(ProductId & vblf & vblf & "Save to a file?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Windows Key Information") then
   Save ProductID
End if

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
	Const KeyOffset=52
	isWin8=(Key(66) \ 6) And 1
	Key(66)=(Key(66) And &HF7) Or ((isWin8 And 2) * 4)
	i=24
	Chars=BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
	Do
		Cur=0
		X=14
		Do
			Cur=Cur * 256
			Cur=Key(X + KeyOffset) + Cur
			Key(X + KeyOffset)=(Cur \ 24)
			Cur=Cur Mod 24
			X=X -1
		Loop While X ]= 0
		i=i -1
		KeyOutput=Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
		Last=Cur
	Loop While i ]= 0
	If (isWin8=1) Then
		keypart1=Mid(KeyOutput, 2, Last)
		insert=N"
		KeyOutput=Replace(KeyOutput, keypart1, keypart1 & insert, 2, 1, 0)
		If Last=0 Then KeyOutput=insert & KeyOutput
	End If
	a=Mid(KeyOutput, 1, 5)
	b=Mid(KeyOutput, 6, 5)
	c=Mid(KeyOutput, 11, 5)
	d=Mid(KeyOutput, 16, 5)
	e=Mid(KeyOutput, 21, 5)
	ConvertToKey=a & "-" & b & "-" & c & "-" & d & "-" & e
End Function

Function Save(Data)
	Const ForWRITING=2
	Const asASCII=0
	Dim fso, f, fName, ts
	fName=Windows Key.txt"
	Set fso=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
	fso.CreateTextFile fName
	Set f=fso.GetFile(fName)
	Set f=f.OpenAsTextStream(ForWRITING, asASCII)
	f.Writeline Data
	f.Close
End Function

Script posted by NiFu here: How do I find my Product Key?

Once you have that, do the following:

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation DVD, or it's not up to the Service Pack level currently installed, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file. Just be careful during the install not to accidentally install some of the bundled junk that comes with it. Always take The Custom Install option.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO. The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.
  • Download and run Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3
  • Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
  • Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
  • Select your USB flash drive
  • Click Create
For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.