Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Open Office 4.0.1 -- Error Msg. opening Doc.

• Please log in to reply

RustyWrex

RustyWrex

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I recently upgraded to Open Office version 4.0.1 (from 3.4). Originally the document was originally a Word 2003 doc. No problems at all using O O 3.4. No error messages / other problems. After upgrading to 4.0.0. then 4.0.1 (to see if 4.0.1 would cure the error message) on bringing up the document after loading 4.0.0 and then 4.0.1 the following error message is displayed with the first page of the document:
“Error loading BASIC of document:///C:/Document%20and%settings/Owner/Application/%20/OpenOffice/4/user/basic/Standard/script/.xlb/:
General Error,
General input/output error.”
Clicking on the 'OK' button repeats the error message (whilst still displaying the first page of the document). Clicking on it a 2nd time, the error message disappears and the the cursor is positioned at the end of the document awaiting further input.
I have noticed spell checker does not work. Apart from these two, I have experienced no other problems working on the document and saving / re opening it.

Other info.
The document -- is a large file currently of 150,000 words. Using Open office the file grew successfully with no errors under O O 3.4. from 120,000 to approx 140,000 words, when I moved to O O 4.0.0.
Assume from the error message O O can't find a configuration file script it needs (affecting spell checker ??)

I have just recovered from system problems caused by a dying CMOS battery (losing system date / time) and had a lot of garbage removed from the registry and the system using C-Cleaner. Everything (else) now runs cleanly.

Some words of wisdom would be much appreciated to set up 4.0.1 properly and clear the error message.

Advertisements