Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer won't boot and beeps

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
I have an older computer that was not used for over a year.I recently hooked it up to use it.When i did i had no picture and continuous beeping from PC.
I tried dusting out inside of PC,cleaning and reseating the RAM and made sure all connection were tight and on.

Still the computer when turned on has no pic and beeps continuosly not in any pattern to tell you errors from the BIOS.

Some say could be video card,it was hooked to the integrated video card,but i also installed one in PCI slot and it does the same thing it beeps and no pic.
Also some say could be the battery or another hardware failure.If anybody knows what else i can try be much appreciated.

I am thinking of trying to sell it if i can get it working again it was working a year ago till i set it away because buying a new PC.

This is the model this site was no help.TY
Gateway

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
o.k. so far i got it running.It was two out of four RAM's sticks.
Keep you posted on other issues i may still have as i am working with it now.ty

o.k. again so far all is good with pic.
No beep problems.
I decided to try the bad RAM again,so i switched the RAM around and it is working this way.
I did clean whole system,cleaned RAM contacts and checked all connections on PC.
Not sure why it worked this way switched around since i cleaned and reseated them originally,cause heard get oxidated from PC not being used,which it wasn't for almost a year.I had bought a new PC.
Looking to sell this.

Thanks for any looks at this post,i will close it as soon as i know everything is good for sure.

Edited by jds63, 13 October 2013 - 05:48 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. all is fixed, i am ending this post,closing it.It seems the RAM was the main issue,no other problems have come about.Everything is working good.TY

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Sorry jds63, It looks like your posts got overlooked.
Glad you got it fixed Ok
:thumbsup:

Its strange how switching the RAM around did the trick, many thanks for taking the time to post back with your results(especially when you didn't get a reply)
Regards
paws

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Thanks turned out,ram was still bad no matter switching it around.
It still went back to beeping again.

This was an older PC i was looking to sell and was in storage for about a year.

Most would say some oxidation occurred on the RAM,tried cleaning contacts and used compressed air clean entire PC.
Checked all connections.

So now it's down two RAM'S if i can sell it.2GB intsead of 4,it's a Pentium 4. Thanks for the reply.

This post is solved.Thanks to all who may have looked at it.

Edited by jds63, 18 October 2013 - 03:28 PM.

parrot feet

parrot feet

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have just been in a similar position. I obtained a PC off a friend after mine broke. He said he didn't use it anymore and it had just been in the cupboard for 3 years. When I turned it on, nothing appeared on screen and the base unit just beeped constantly. Eventually I took the cover off and tried the wire connections but no joy. I read this post and thought its worth a go. I was worried about taking the RAM out (2 slots) though they popped out easily and there was no defects. I didn't swap them, just put them back and hey presto, it booted.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi parrot feet,

Glad you got it fixed

well done  :thumbsup:

Its surprising how often just removing and then refixing the RAM modules does the trick

Regards

paws