Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer very slow / stalls

• Please log in to reply

scotto62

scotto62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
It still seems a bit slow - taking 8 to 10 seconds to load a new page in IE. Sometimes when I click on a new tab and enter a URL, it says that it is unresponsive or is running a long script. It is a significant improvement, but still odd - feels sluggish.

I just turned off the AVAST virus protection and it is significantly more peppy. Do you think that the remaining lag is just due to AVAST?

My results aren't much different with Chrome.

Thanks!

Allan

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and click on Begin Test

When the Test finishes click on Share This Result and then select Forum then Copy then move to a reply and Ctrl + v

scotto62

scotto62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Here are the results:

http://www.speedtest...sult/3071195355

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
In the search box, type: services.msc

Wait until it finds it then right click on the found services.msc and Run As Admin.

Find Windows Defender and right click on it and select Properties. Change the Startup Type: to Manual and then Apply. Stop the service. This should have been turned off when Avast was installed. Turn Avast back on.

One other thing you can do is put the hosts file back to the default. The long list of bad sites tends to slow down Vista or Win 7. To do that:

Download HostsXpert from http://www.funkytoad...HostsXpert.zip. Save the file then right click and Extract All. It will create a new folder in the same place. In the folder find HostsXpert.exe and right click on it and Run As Administrator.

It will take a few seconds to appear. If the top line in the left column says Make Writeable, click on it and it should change to Make Read Only? If it already says Make Read Only? that's OK just go on to the next step.
Now click on the left column entry that says: Restore MSHosts file. Click on the Make Read Only? entry then close HostXpert. Run OTL again and let's see if the hosts file is happy now.

Get Process Explorer

http://live.sysinter...com/procexp.exe
Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run As Administrator).

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK
Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top.

Wait a full minute then:

File, Save As, Save. Open the file Procexp.txt on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.

Get the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo...download_speccy (Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button - Do NOT press the large Start Download button on the upper left!) Download, Save and Install it. Run Speccy. When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving), File, Save as Text File, (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK. Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System. (It will be near the top about 10 lines down.) Attach the file to your next post.

scotto62

scotto62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I ran OTL with just a SCAN and attached the log.

I attached the procexp output

I attached the SPECCY output file

Thanks, Allan

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Hard drive is failing:

01 Read Error Rate 100 (100) Data 0000009DAC

BF G-sense error rate 100 (100) Data 00000000CC

C7 UltraDMA CRC Error Count 100 (100) Data 00053A18BF
C8 Write Error Rate / Multi-Zone Error Rate 100 (100) Data 000C0A30B3

You need to back up any data you don't want to lose. Would be wise to get another drive and clone the old one before it fails.

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check. C:
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Check both boxes and then click Start.
You will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, but don't restart yet.

Right click on (My) Computer and select Manage (Continue) Then the Event Viewer. Next select Windows Logs. Right click on System and Clear Log, Clear. Repeat for Application. Reboot. The disk check will run and will probably take an hour or more to finish.

Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Then type (with an Enter after each line).

sfc /scannow

(SPACE after sfc. This will check your critical system files. Does this finish without complaint? IF it says it couldn't fix everything then:

Copy the next two lines:

findstr /c:"[SR]" \windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log > \windows\logs\cbs\junk.txt
notepad \windows\logs\cbs\junk.txt

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue. Right click and Paste or Edit then Paste and the copied line should appear.
Hit Enter if notepad does not open. Copy and paste the text from notepad into a reply. Close nOtepad. Close the Command Window.

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.

It's running bit warm too. Get Speedfan:

http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Download, save and Install it (Win 7 or Vista right click and Run As Admin.) then run it.

It will tell you your temps. If they seem hot (over 50) then check Automatic Fan Speed.
Leave it running and see if the temps drop.
Also prop up the back of the laptop with a book (don't block the vents). Propping it up in the back lets the heat rise to the heatsink which should make it cool a bit better.

OTL looks clean. Process Explorer says you probably have a bad driver:

Interrupts 4.63 0 K 0 K n/a Hardware Interrupts and DPCs

Tho on a laptop this can also be caused by a bad battery. Shut it down. Remove the battery and power it via AC. Once it boots run Process Explorer again and look to see if the Interrupts drop down to about 1.00 which is where they usually are.

Also try booting into the Safe Mode menu and choose the Low Resolution Option then run Process Explorer again. This sort of bypasses the Video Driver so if Interrupts drop that tells us the video driver is at fault.

scotto62

scotto62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks Ron,

I ran the scannow and it finished without a problem, however it did find and repair some bad sectors. I've attached the log (junk.txt)

I've attached the two VEW logs (VEW SYSTEM.TXT and VEW APPLICATION.TXT)

Speedfan says that it is running at about 53 C so I clicked on "Automatic". I still don't think it is cooling very well ranges from 46 to 63 degrees...

I removed the battery and ran process explorer. The interrupts ranging from about 0 to 6

I do have a bad screen - I have to connect to an external monitor to see anything - so I can't reboot in safe mode but I guess we can deduce that there is likely the video driver problem.

One thing I do get now on reboot is a message from Windows Defender that says "Application failed to initalize 0x800106ba. A problem caused this program's service to stop...". Is this because I switched Defender to manual?

However, from what your telling me it sounds like the computer may be on its last legs. I am backing up all of the data on the hard disk in case of failure.

I appreciate all of your help! Let me know if you think I should do anything else. The system does work much better, but I can tell it is not quite normal.

Allan

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Might as well put the battery back in. That just made it worse which is really weird. Is this using the original AC adapter that came with it?

You might go to the dell website and look up the drivers for your PC. See if they have a new chipset utility and/or a new graphics driver. If not it's Intel based so you should be able to get the latest from Intel directly using the Intel® Driver Update Utility: http://www.intel.com.../support/detect

Then see if Process Explorer shows lower interrupts.

scotto62

scotto62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Battery back in and drivers updated.

Temp has been behaving - settled in at 48C. Interrupts haven't gone above 1 for the past hour.

Thanks,

Allan

Attached Files