Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connectify the s/w router install fails

• Please log in to reply

sanjayb22233

sanjayb22233

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,
Please help me to find a solution for the following problem -
Actually from a windows 7 system -64 bit on a LAN we want to have/share internet access from other LAN nodes.
This server system has a data card to have internet access.
But we dont want to use ICS for this as that requires modifying of all the IP addresses.
So we are left with few other options like routers or proxies.
I tried to install Connectify here but that requires .net framework 4.5 - the installation of this fails (maybe linked to the windows installer) and so the Connectify installation also fails.
Can anyone please let me know the best options and ways to achieve this - to share internet data card access on a windows 7 server system on a LAN from all or some nodes of the LAN
Regards and Thanks
Sanjay.

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
First and foremost, welcome to Geeks To Go's forums! I hope you stick around after we've assisted you in resolving this issue, as there is a lot of great members and information available on Geeks To Go's site. Now that the pleasantries have been said, let's take a look at your issue and see what we can do to resolve it!  
STEP ONE: Intel Gathering - Q&A
  • Just to clarify I know what you want/need and that any advise I give makes logical sense, please answer the following questions...
  • You state a 'Windows 7 server system' but Windows 7 is not a server operating system, can you give the exact version of OS on the primary machine?
  • Now the 'data card', who's it made by? Also how is it connected actively? Certain cards allow for some other options that would work better than most, so please give as much details as possible (model, brand, etc).
  • Have you tried to work on the .Net 4.5 failing before?
STEP TWO: MiniToolBox Intel Gathering
  • At this point and time I'd like you to get the utility MiniToolBox and run it with the following checked items.
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP Configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer Errors
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • Only-Problems (leave it checked)
After you've just the above items, please then hit GO. Once it's done running, which normally doesn't take too long, it will have a text or log file pop up. Please copy & paste that into a reply. [/list]  
Once I hear back with those answers and the log, I'll be sure to provide more accurate solutions and see what we can get working for you.

sanjayb22233

sanjayb22233

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the warm reply.
Actually the machine where i want to install connectify is a win7 64 bit file server.
The other day I tried installing connectify on my machine which is also win7 64 bit desktop.
Yesterday I tried installing on the file server and it worked without problem (installing dotnet framework 4.5 also)
My aim in all this is to share a data card based internet from other LAN machines. Connectify is not the solution.
So at present I am trying to do this by configuring the IP addresses.
The dongle i am using is reliance-huawei.
Will get back soon with the results of todays experiments...
Regards and thanks,
Sanjay.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Windows 7 Home Premium? Professional? What? It's technically just a workstation that has shares, not necessarily a 'File Server' as it's OS is not server. However I get what you mean.

As for the card, I am assuming you have this one or another version of it...
Posted Image
Provided that is true, are you trying to further share it through your NIC's ethernet port, which has a cable running into a switch? The issue here is no DHCP, so you'll have to handle that part. You also have to have it setup for proper rights and 'Full Control'.

Now another issue is about the bandwidth and trying to set it up so the internal network for file sharing/shares doesn't forcefully get routed through the card. I had that issue once, though the newer age cards are more advanced with routing and seem to have solved that issue.

Anyway post back with your results and we'll go from there!

sanjayb22233

sanjayb22233

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
posting the basic problem again. Thanks PhrantiQ and best wishes.

Windows 7
Share USB data card internet in LAN with router

We have a Reliance Netconnect USB dongle connected on a PC. Also we have a LAN with a router letting wired as well as wireless access to a leased line.
I want to configure in any manner the USB dongle on one PC so that any other computer can access this internet connection.
I have tried many software routers like connectify, mHotspot, Virtual access point etc without success.
The PC where the dongle is connected is a win 7 64bits pro machine.
Please help if you can asap.
Thanks
Sanjay.