Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Icons Have Changed to Word Icon

• Please log in to reply

blogguy

blogguy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I have a computer with Windows 7 Home Premium Operating System, 64-bit.

Originally tried to open a photo and view it and selected to go to photo viewer and something went wrong.

The end result:

> Most of the program icons on the desktop changed to Microsoft Word icon

> Some of the icons on task bar are all Microsoft Word icons

on desktop:

recycle bin icon okay - still the original icon
computer user manual icon is still the original icon

when you go to desktop icon and right click, properties shows that
it's an executable file for that program (ex. firefox or adobe reader
show .exe at the end of the target)

when you double left click on the desktop icons the message is:

"windows photo viewer can't open this picture because either photo viewer doesn't support this file format or you don't have the latest update to photo viewer"

then there's a slideshow arrow at the bottom

picture at center looks like it covers up former icon

Performed one system restore and nothing changed.

Any help to fix this would be greatly appreciated. I'm a computer newbie so step by step instructions
would be greatly appreciated also!

Edited by blogguy, 16 October 2013 - 11:15 PM.

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
First and foremost, welcome to Geeks To Go's forums! I hope you stick around after we've assisted you in resolving this issue, as there is a lot of great members and information available on Geeks To Go's site. Now that the pleasantries have been said, let's take a look at your issue and see what we can do to resolve it!  
STEP ONE: Repairing System Defaults
  • Please download Windows Repair (AIO - Portable) and go to the 2nd from last tab labeled Start Repairs. Once on this tab, please select the button Start. The warning that pops up can be followed or not, however sometimes running those at this time can be non beneficial or further worsen the issues.

Inside of here, please check all of the following items:
  • Repair Hosts File
  • Remove Policies Set By Infections
  • Repair Missing Start Menu Icons
  • Repair Icons
  • Remove Temp Files
  • Restore Important Windows Services
  • Set Windows Services To Default At Start
Once the proper items have been selected, please click on Start. If the program requests you to reboot your machine after running, please allow it to do so. Once you've rebooted please see if your issue persists and post back with the results and any errors/changes you notice.   Reboot at this point and see how it goes! If the icons have still not fixed themselves, we may need to manually do it by going into the 'Default Programs' in your Control Panel and setting them back up.

Edited by PhrantiQ, 15 October 2013 - 01:05 PM.

blogguy

blogguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
edit

Edited by blogguy, 16 October 2013 - 11:02 PM.

blogguy

blogguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
edit

Edited by blogguy, 16 October 2013 - 11:02 PM.

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
I'm lost as to why you sent me a PM with a MiniToolBox report, plus ran the System File Check. Plus the Check Disk. The only logical thing I can think of is, you didn't follow my instructions. Please re-read and re-follow my posted steps exactly.

STEP ONE: Repairing System Defaults
  • Please download Windows Repair (AIO - Portable) and go to the 2nd from last tab labeled Start Repairs. Once on this tab, please select the button Start. The warning that pops up can be followed or not, however sometimes running those at this time can be non beneficial or further worsen the issues.

Inside of here, please check all of the following items:
  • Repair Hosts File
  • Remove Policies Set By Infections
  • Repair Missing Start Menu Icons
  • Repair Icons
  • Remove Temp Files
  • Restore Important Windows Services
  • Set Windows Services To Default At Start
Once the proper items have been selected, please click on Start. If the program requests you to reboot your machine after running, please allow it to do so. Once you've rebooted please see if your issue persists and post back with the results and any errors/changes you notice. Reboot at this point and see how it goes! If the icons have still not fixed themselves, we may need to manually do it by going into the 'Default Programs' in your Control Panel and setting them back up.  
Once you've followed that, then please post back.

Edited by PhrantiQ, 16 October 2013 - 05:53 PM.