Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is this something to worry about?

• Please log in to reply

melodygoround

melodygoround

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I follow your direction about removing spyware, adware etc. I am concered about some files that come up when I use my Word program. Sometimes (not always) when I am closing a message comes up saying the file is in use and I do I want to save? When I say no it still prompts that it is being used and need to save.

C:WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\Normal is the file it brings up.

We don't have a network in the house - just 1 PC. We use DSL to connect.

Not sure if it is anything to worry about or not.

If it is not associated with something ya'll do - just let me know and I will look elsewhere. I have been searching for an answer for a little while and thought you might help.

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click help in Word then detect and repair, tick restore shortcuts, you will need the Office CD

Word uses a Template called Normal.dot which it opens for each Word document, it should not display this though

Edited by Keith, 08 June 2005 - 11:53 AM.

melodygoround

melodygoround

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey Thanks - I am doing that now.

melodygoround

melodygoround

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK - thought I had an easy fix. Error message

Error 1402. Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Interface\{24785B20-135E-11D1-A2A7-00A0C9082766}\TypeLib.
Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personel.

Then the messages says Microsoft Word 2000 Setup Failed.

I have the original disks for the program from when we bought it. Not sure what this means.

Thanks again

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, settings, control panel, add remove, click Office, click change, click customize, remove tick from Word only, click next

Get tune up trial

http://www.tune-up.com

Run disc clean up then registry cleaner then click optimize to run reg defrag, which takes a while then needs a reboot.

This will make sure you do not have any obsolete entries in the registry

After the reboot, load the Office CD, click custom install, tick Word only, then click run all from computer, click next and install Word.

You may have got the error if the disc has smears on, so clean the disc carefully, if it shows the same error, try to install it again right away, you could also try a different CD ROM drive if you have one on the PC

If it installs visit Office Update

If it does not install, contact your local Microsoft Office and tell them the software is damaged, it is likely they will not have Office 2000 so are likely to offer to upgrade it to Office XP

Edited by Keith, 08 June 2005 - 12:53 PM.