Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to make a game but need help.

• Please log in to reply

Vezease

Vezease

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm 16 and love game. For about 5 years i was into a mmorpg called Runescape. And i would code my own version of the game and even had it running online with 100+ players. I want to learn how to make my own game i have a idea for one but i don't know what to do. I'm not much of a social person so this would be a solo project once i get started. When i coded my own version on runescape it was with java i wouldn't say i even have and skill with java because the things i would do there was tutorials about it on the internet plus 60% of the game was already coded i didn't make it by scratch. I'm Thinking about going to school for this but idk. I know i shouldn't start right away with making a game with java but how would i start what basic things can i make of my own with java where do i start and work my way up? I don't really have much of a hobby or anything to be honest so i want to my own game that people can play and at lease try to make something of my self.

Edited by Vezease, 16 October 2013 - 10:27 AM.

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
Java is certainly a good language, specially if you have any previous experience with it. Even if you did those with guides, you can look back at it and kind of understand what the code is/how it works - This is because you already know what it does for Runescape. Now, moving forward you should look up some books on programming in java and learn the fundamentals, then learn to start looking into applying these basics/fundamentals to creating a game or what not. As with most things in life, the foundation is key ! Fundamental elements when mastered allow anyone to troubleshoot their code much better than someone who just goes item to item or code only to code a program but not to fully learn the language's basics.

satrus08

satrus08

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Game Development is fun but also a very time consuming and difficult process. Start out small with making small games while you learn basic concepts and keep moving on to bigger things. Here is a really good website to get you started. Best of luck! :)

http://content.gpwiki.org/Main_Page

I myself am also starting to learn game programming. I would say I'm a little above beginner level but a little below intermediate level in C++ Programming. Right now I'm learning about 2D game making concepts and using the SFML library. When I am confident, I will move on to 3D.

Edited by satrus08, 19 March 2014 - 12:02 PM.

Mary-Ann

Mary-Ann

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, guys, I`m not a "computer person", but I would be happy to help you with piece of advice on example of one good friend of mine. Well, one day he decided to create by his own and it was a website (it is easier to create then game), then he thought why wouldn`t he got an IT graduation. Now he blend up two elements: games and websites. As a result we have his new-born baby Logaster.com It`s not an advertisement, I just want you to inspire and show what dreams and desires can do! So try to create a game, ask smb`s help. And if you enjoy it, take an IT courses or even a college. Good Luck! :thumbsup: