Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to remove the Document and Settings Menu Bar from my Desktop

• Please log in to reply

esp4yu

esp4yu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Attached File  MenuBar.pdf   237.73KB   45 downloads

Recently my Desktop adopted a menu bar automatically - I can't right click or remover it. I tried gpedit but did not find any part I could change to remove the menu bar. Please help. I have attached the PowerPoint - See 1st pic: This menu bar is on my Desktop and I can't remove it. Slide 2: Menu Bar with Wallpaper, Slide 3: View of Menu Bar in Windows Explorer

Many Thanks & Warm Regards

Phillip

Please redirect if I posted to the wrong discussion board, thxAttached File  MenuBar.pdf   237.73KB   45 downloads

Advertisements

PhrantiQ

PhrantiQ

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
If you 'Right Click' on your taskbar (the bar that holds icons for your opened items, clock, etc) you will see an option in the Context Menu for Toolbars. If you hover over it and select it, you will see a list of all toolbars enabled through the windows manager, in which you can then check/uncheck the items to enable and disable them.

Did this resolve your issue? If not, the item is set to startup in one of the startup registry entries. We can check these out if needed by having you go through the following step... Only do this step if the above DID NOT WORK.

STEP ONE: Autoruns Intel Gathering
  • Please download Autoruns by Sysinternals. Once that has downloaded, please extract the files to a location of your choosing. Once extracted, I'd like you to run 'autoruns.exe'. You should see the Autoruns window open up at this time, in which we will give it a minute to fully populate the lists. After the lists have been populate I'll need you to save it as a text file, you can do this by following these steps:
  • Go to 'File' and select 'Save'
  • When saving change the 'Save as type:' to a 'Text (*.txt)' file type (you do this by dropping the list down using the arrow and selecting the file type by clicking on it).
Now that the file is saved, please locate where you saved it and open it up. Once you have the text file opened up, copy and paste all the content into a reply on here.

Edited by PhrantiQ, 17 October 2013 - 03:29 AM.