Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Clean hard drive"

• Please log in to reply

Mon142

Mon142

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My office has recently updated our computer system. My office manager is trying to wipe clean all of the hard drives on our Windows XP system before we get rid of them. Our Computer techs told her to get "sdelete" and "Roadkil's Disk Wipe". She put both on a USB drive and tried to "run" it on the first hard drive, we extracted files, etc. Nothing is happening. Can you please help me. Thank you very much.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome to the forums,

I'm not familiar with either of those tools, but generally to format a drive you can use the manufacturer's diagnostic tool. E.g. for Seagate hard drives, you can download SeaTools. Burn the program to a CD and boot the computer off the CD. You can then run a diagnostic (in case the drive is dying) or, in your case, choose to completely format the drive.

As this is a business there's not too much help we can give here, sounds like you should ideally book in an appointment with your computer tech to get it done.

Cheers

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need to create a bootable flash drive of CD. You can't just run a program that will wipe the drive you are booted from.

Once you have that, see if there is a portable version of those programs.

You can also look at DBAN (Darrick's Boot And Nuke). Here is a tutorial for creating a bootable flash drive with DBAN on it. Install DBAN to a USB Flash Drive using Windows