Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU temps

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. recently i had to remove my heatsink to install a new fan.I did not know at time when replacing the heatsink i needed to reapply thermal compound or grease between CPU and heatsink.

So i purchased a thermal compound this one: Arctic

It seemed to me after applying this compound and this is after a day and a half, that temps were bit higher then before i reapplied compound.Averaging now at 34-40 Celsius,this is under no load.
Before the reapply with old original grease temps were around 31-34 celsius.

I know some compounds take time to break in,this product says only 24 hours or so.

To me after removing the heatsink re seating with the old compound you would figure it would be hotter then applying a new compound.

Although some would say 34-40 celsius is not too hot.It was cooler when i just re seated it without new compound.Unless it needs more breakin time.

I even added a 2nd Noctua case fan, i had one Noctua case fan already.

I hope someone can advise me more on this,would be much appreciated.TY

Edited by jds63, 17 October 2013 - 03:58 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Did you clean both surfaces with alcohol or Arctic's cleaner before putting on the thermal paste?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Yes i first i used what most suggested coffee filters to remove excess first on both surfaces then i used rubbing alcohol on both surfaces.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
How much paste did you put on? A thin layer is all that is needed.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Arctic did show to use a vertical line for intel i5 2nd gen. processor.
I have seen in other articles size of a rice grain.
I used from one article size of a bb gun bb.
This is the stock heatsink,ASUS P8H61-M-PRO Motherboard.

Edited by jds63, 17 October 2013 - 08:02 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Did the old one have thermal paste or the thermal pad? Could it be it won't screw down tight enough?

I use a toothpick and smear it around so that it covers the whole surface without any gaps. I've always used Arctic 5 and never had any problems. Always saw a big improvement - but I only did it when the thing was already running hot. As long as a desktop stays under 45 under load I don't worry about it.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Thanks for reply! Well i did not know why i decided to buy arctic ceramique 2 did see not great reviews on it.

So i went out and bought Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic Clean,most others did suggest these products to me also.

I decided to do the job over and used the method of the vertical line suggested by Arctic for Intel i5 Processor i have.

I tell you this Arctic Clean definitely removed alot more then the rubbing alcohol would,great stuff.

So i used method of vertical line,did as shown in a diagram at Arctic,everything went well with the job.
This was all new to me,never did it before.

Time will tell,since this product takes 200hrs. to break in.So far temps are 31-32 c but just put the PC on.
I use a program to monitor temps,fan speed and voltage.

Not sure if i should leave this post open,maybe i will for a couple of days,let you know how it is.Thank you for responding!

Edited by jds63, 18 October 2013 - 03:30 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
Update on my post.

So far using Arctic Silver 5 and using Arctic Clean beforehand seems to be going good.

Have not seen temps on CPU go to high yet ranges at 33-34 C idle.

If i ran number of programs maybe low 40's C.

So it is still in it's breakin period time will tell,but looks better then from the paste i used before.

Guess i did something wrong with last application process or was type i used.trial and error i learned more.

I will close this post,thanks for help i received anyone likes to comment on this,you are welcome,thank you all!! :thumbsup: