Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help my computer wont let me download at all from any browser and afte

• Please log in to reply

Astin

Astin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ive got the internet explorer browser and it wont let me download anything, after clicking run it runs the security scan then gives me a message saying 'windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item.'

But wheni tried downloading google chrome, it downloaded but it doesnt connect to any websites but yet internet explorer works fine.

Please help its driving me mad how i cant update adobe flash player or aything else.

Advertisements

Squidboss

Squidboss

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
All i can do to help while you wait on a more experienced techy is to suggest if you are logged on as a user and don't have the administrative access to download files, if you run as administrator it might get this sorted. (I don't know for sure i might be wrong but to me that's what it seems like)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
This is a common symptom of the Zero Access infection but can also be caused by some anti-viruses (AVG is the most common).

For Zero Access your best bet is Combofix. You will have to download it on a friend's PC (Note the caveat about turning off your anti-virus while downloading or moving Combofix. Make sure you do it on both PCs) and put it on a USB drive or on a CD then move it to the desktop of the sick PC. Might as well also get OTL
http://www.geekstogo...timers-list-it/
and FRST
http://www.bleepingc...very-scan-tool/
just in case Combofix won't run.

ComboFix

:!: It must be saved to your desktop, do not run it from your browser:!:

:!: Disable your Antivirus software when downloading or running Combofix. If it has Script Blocking features, please disable these as well. See: http://www.bleepingc...opic114351.html

Download and Save this file -- to your Desktop -- from either of these two sources:
http://download.blee...Bs/ComboFix.exe
http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe

Vista/Win 7/8 =>Rightclick on ComboFix and select Run As Administrator to start the program.
XP => Double click to start the program.

* :!: Important: Have no other programs running. Your Task Bar should be clear of any program entries including your Browser.

* A window may open with a series of Disclaimers. Accept the Disclaimers to start the fix.

A caution - Do not run Combofix more than once. Do not touch your mouse/keyboard until the scan has completed, as this may cause the process to stall or your computer to lock. The scan will temporarily disable your desktop, and if interrupted may leave your desktop disabled. If this occurs, please reboot to restore the desktop. Even when ComboFix appears to be doing nothing, look at your Drive light. If it is flashing, Combofix is still at work. If you do not get a log then run Combofix a second time.
I'll need to see that in your reply.

If it's the latter problem (Combofix runs fine but doesn't help) and you have Firefox then you can use a work around:

Type in:
about:config
and hit Enter
then scroll down until you find

browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone

then right click on it and Toggle. Close and reopen Firefox and try to download something in Firefox.

If you have Chrome then usually the following will get it to work:

Copy the lines between the stars (but not the stars):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]
"ScanWithAntiVirus"=dword:00000001

Open notepad and paste the above into it. Verify that you have it all then File, Save As, (to your desktop) "NoScan.reg" OK (Make sure you includes the quotes around the file name)

Close notepad. Right click on NoScan.reg and select Merge. Allow it to merge. (If you don't see the Merge option you probably left off the quotes and notepad tacked on .txt)

Ron

Astin

Astin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I cant download OTL on my friends laptop because Talktalk suspects it to contain a virus. Do i need to download it?

Ive just downloaded FRST on my friends laptop and turned off the antivirus

I dont know how to tun off my antivirus for Mcafee OAS, Combofix has notified me that my Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise and Mcafee ViruScan Enterprise \antspyware Module are still on and that i cannot continue without urning it off, it didnt seem to be in the link you gave me and the icon looks like V with red and blue in the background. I,ve tried right clicking it but the disable option cant be clicked...

Edited by Astin, 20 October 2013 - 04:15 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
OTL does not contain a virus but if you can't get it we can probably get by with Combofix and FRST.

You can go into msconfig and uncheck the McAfee stuff in Services and Startup and then reboot. That should turn off most of McAfee. Starting to sound like Zero Access since it likes to take over anti-virus programs.

Start, Run, msconfig , OK

or see http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

You can also run Combofix in Safe Mode with Networking

(Reboot and when you see the maker's logo, hear a beep or it talks about F8, start tapping the F8 key slowly. Keep tapping until the Safe Mode Menu appears and choose Safe Mode with Networking. Login with your usual login.)