Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some new bits

• Please log in to reply

Sking0

Sking0

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
My pc has packed up and i need to get a new motherboard and probably Video card.
My current motherboard is this... http://www.asrock.co...10N78hSLI-GLAN/
My existing but not functioning Vid card is AMD Radeon R6870 1 gig.

I would want to use my existing AMD quad core Phenom and preferably my DDR2 RAM.
I would appreciate some suggestions as to what to get to stay along the lines i have been and not
have any compatibility issues. I don't want the cheapest nor the most expensive, just reasonably priced and solid stuff.
The RAM isn't a major issue really, but just a cost cutter. I would go for a DDR3 board if it was worth getting new RAM for.

Edited by Sking0, 19 October 2013 - 11:40 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello Sking0

Before any suggestions are made can I ask what type of PC failure has occurred and how it has been determined what components are good or bad.

You don`t mention any PSU details - what are the brand and model name or number details of the present PSU.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Hi. https://www.pcspecia...g-on-with-my-PC

There are links to other forums regarding the same thing in that post.

Edited by Sking0, 19 October 2013 - 12:10 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
K we need your maximum budget and the requested PSU details.

As an asides Sking0 it is not good practice to follow guidance on more than one forum, it can lead to you receiving conflicting advice which may lead to confusion as to who`s advice you are following, decide which forum you are sticking with and notify the other/s as a courtesy.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
PSU Is Corsair CX600w.
My budget is £300...tops.

I only ask questions on different forums for two reasons.
A. In order to gain a wide range of answers and read all of them and make up my mind which ones seem most logical to me.
B. I never intend to be discourteous, it is probably that i am not that involved in forums that i don't fully understand the
circle of things, and the mutual courtesy side of it. I don't mean to seem that way. Sorry.

Sometimes you ask a question in a forum and you get replies and you feel like it is going somewhere, then all of a sudden the replies stop and you feel like you have exhausted the line of enquiry, i see how many views the post has had and how many replies it has and i think..'Maybe i need to ask somewhere else'. It seems like the logical thing to do. I never have any other thought in my mind than the problem at hand when i am trying to fix my pc.
My ignorance about pcs bought me here and my ignorance about pc forums took me elsewhere. But i do like to keep an open mind.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Corsair is a proven brand of PSU but recently the CX600 is one that has had it`s fair share of failures and bad reviews so I suggest that you get it tested by a local tech store to make sure that it is not responsible for the MB and GPU failure, many stores will do this for free or for a small fee.

Which is your CPU on the list below;

AM2+ Phenom Quad Core HD995ZFAJ4BGH(BE) 140W Agena 2600MHz 2000MHz 512KBx4 2MB B3
AM2+ Phenom Quad Core HD995ZXAJ4BGH(BE) 125W Agena 2600MHz 2000MHz 512KBx4 2MB B3
AM2+ Phenom Quad Core HD985ZXAJ4BGH(BE) 125W Agena 2500MHz 2000MHz 512KBx4 2MB B3
AM2+ Phenom Quad Core HD9850XAJ4BGH 125W Agena 2500MHz 2000MHz 512KBx4 2MB B3
AM2+ Phenom Quad Core HD9850WCJ4BGH 95W Agena 2500MHz 1800MHz 512KBx4 2MB B3
AM2+ Phenom Quad Core HD9750WCJ4BGH 95W Agena 2400Mhz 1800MHz 512KBx4 2MB B3
AM2+ Phenom Quad Core HD9750XAJ4BGH 125W Agena 2400MHz 1800MHz 512KBx4 2MB B3
AM2+ Phenom Quad Core HD9650WCJ4BGH 95W Agena 2300MHz 1800MHz 512KBx4 2MB B3
AM2+ Phenom Quad Core HD9600WCJ4BGD 95W Agena 2300Mhz 1800MHz 512KBx4 2MB B2
AM2+ Phenom Quad Core HD9550WCJ4BGH 95W Agena 2200MHz 1800MHz 512KBx4 2MB B3
AM2+ Phenom Quad Core HD9500WCJ4BGD 95W Agena 2200Mhz 1800MHz 512KBx4 2MB B2
AM2+ Phenom Quad Core HD9450ODJ4BGH 65W Agena 2100MHz 1800MHz 512KBx4 2MB B3
AM2+ Phenom Quad Core HD9350ODJ4BGH 65W Agena 2000MHz 1800MHz 512KBx4 2MB B3
AM2+ Phenom Quad Core HD9150ODJ4BGH 65W Agena 1800MHz 1600MHz 512KBx4 2MB B3
AM2+ Phenom Quad Core HD9100OBJ4BGD 65W Agena 1800MHz 1600MHz 512KBx4 2MB B2

Asking for advice on new parts on more than one forum is less likely to go wrong for you than if you were troubleshooting a computer problem however members and staff are proud of their own forums and so quite rightly do not go promoting other tech sites on them.

Just a FYI, if you were asking a question on a particular topic and that information was not readily available here at GTG you will tend to find that someone will always point you in the right direction :thumbsup:

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I do not know which of the above is the exact model of processor. I bought the pc custom built, i can't get onto my pc to find the exact info but i will try and find out by searching old posts i have made and get back to you.

Edited by Sking0, 20 October 2013 - 04:14 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:thumbsup:

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Sorry but this is the best i can do at the moment Amd phenom 9950 quad core processor 2.6ghz do you need me to find out a bit more than that? I'm sure i remember seeing 'Black Edition' when i ran CPUID once.

Edited by Sking0, 20 October 2013 - 04:20 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Is it This one

Advertisements

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I didn't get a box with it but has the same name, i get lost when i get to this part....140W Quad-Core Processor HD995ZFAGHBOX i do not know about that. I don't know how i could find out.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Going slightly off topic with this but the difference between the codes is that one is OEM (not supplied with a heatsink and cooling fan) and the other is boxed (retail) and is supplied with an AMD approved heatsink and fan, there is also a difference in the warranty terms, OEM is typically a 1yr warranty provided by the retailer and a box cpu is a 3yr warranty provided by AMD.

Some info for you AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition - HD995ZFAJ4BGH / HD995ZFAGHBOX

I will see what MBs I can find that are compatible with the AMD Phenom 9950 X4 Black Edition Agena 2.6GHz details.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
I am wondering about going down this road.... http://www.amazon.co...oard cpu bundle ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I am wondering about going down this road.... http://www.amazon.co...oard cpu bundle ?

Having looked at MB options for the present CPU I can safely say that the items at your link are a far better option for you, do keep in mind though that you may need to notify Microsoft of the MB failure and product key transfer to a new MB including a change of brand, please see my canned text below for an explanation;

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.

Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.
If you have a full retail disk and a product key that is not in use on another computer the OEM restriction/s is/are not the same.

I have always found MS to be helpful so you should have no problems.

Sking0

Sking0

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
So i should go with this bundle and inform MS asap.? I will probably have to up the budget (pretty normal for me) as i will still need a decent video card, I would pay up to £150 for a video Card.
I will get the PSU tested and assuming it is ok i hope it will be good enough to run the new motherboard and it's components incl. new Video card.